Drum Corps Coming Back to Maxwell Field!

I'm on my way now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And most of the Corp has been there since last night.

this is going to be FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! b**bs

Just a reminder to anyone coming to this historic show at Maxwell Field tonight, folks.

If coming late, don't forget your lawn chair or beach blanket... b**bs

When entering Wildwood, turn left at McDonalds, nine blocks north on Park Boulevard, the field is on your left. :beer::beer:

Thom B)

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

Hey, guys - I have some incredible news for New Jersey drum corps fans.

Finally, after many years, drum corps will be returning to Wildwood's legendary Maxwell Field. If you didn't march there in either the yearly VFW or American Legion State championships, your mother or father did - or your grandmother or... you get the idea. Drum Corps at Maxwell Field has been a tradition for generations of drum corps nuts.

Almost every legendary corps along the eastern seaboard competed there, junior or senior. From the Caballeros, Muchachos, Bon Bon Girls, Bayonne Bridgemen, Blessed Sacrament, Blue Rock, Manville Sacred Heart Crusaders, the Garfield Cadets (even as far back as when they were Holy Name Cadets, I think), the Stardusters from Pompton Lakes, the Lamplighters...

Channel 10 in Philly ran a great documentary Wednesday night called "Wildwood by the Sea" (not to be confused with PBS's "Wildwood Days"). It was fantastic. They did a section on Wildwood's reputation as parade capital of the world and showed vintage clips from the 60s and 70s. They showed great clips of Muchachos and Stardusters. My husband was in Muchachos and his sister was in Stardusters. Try to imagine his getting the last laugh...I was in the Bon Bons & there wasn't one shot of us! GREAT documentary & perfect timing.

You name them. Heck, Jimmy Russo even competed there back when he was with the fantastic St. Lucy's.

I've got a great photo of him conducting on crutches. What year was that? 68? 69?

Maxwell Field wasn't always the greatest field to march on. In fact, the bleachers, which have always been just large enough to acommodate a small H.S. football game, weren't the greatest. Part of the charm of Maxwell Field was the hundreds of fans who preferred to lie on the ground on the sidelines looking UP at their favorite corps marking time less than two feet in front of them. Today, that would be hard to do with all the pit crews.

I remember sitting 8-10 deep on blankets!

And the legendary relationships between members of different corps. Oh-ma-gawd! How many boys and girls fell in love while riding the rides on the Wildwood boardwalk after marching all day at Maxwell and the traditional (very long in those days) parade along Atlantic Avenue? How many of you out there married someone you met in Wildwood?

I did! And as much as I wish I could be in Wildwood today, I'm heading north to the Grand Prix because tonight is also the home show of Wildwood's official all-age Drum and Bugle Corps - The Hawthorne Caballeros. Good luck to everyone in Wildwood. Go Surf! I hope this will be the beginning of making Wildwood memories like so many of us old guys did.

And also, in exhibition, very special guests, the Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni Corps of Bayonne, NJ.

And to my friends in Bridgemen, have a great show! Liz, Grand Prix won't be the same for me without you, but know that I am so proud of you! Kick butt!