Drum Corps Coming Back to Maxwell Field!

Hey, guys - I have some incredible news for New Jersey drum corps fans.

Finally, after many years, drum corps will be returning to Wildwood's legendary Maxwell Field. If you didn't march there in either the yearly VFW or American Legion State championships, your mother or father did - or your grandmother or... you get the idea. Drum Corps at Maxwell Field has been a tradition for generations of drum corps nuts.

Almost every legendary corps along the eastern seaboard competed there, junior or senior. From the Caballeros, Muchachos, Bon Bon Girls, Bayonne Bridgemen, Blessed Sacrament, Blue Rock, Manville Sacred Heart Crusaders, the Garfield Cadets (even as far back as when they were Holy Name Cadets, I think), the Stardusters from Pompton Lakes, the Lamplighters...

You name them. Heck, Jimmy Russo even competed there back when he was with the fantastic St. Lucy's.

Maxwell Field wasn't always the greatest field to march on. In fact, the bleachers, which have always been just large enough to acommodate a small H.S. football game, weren't the greatest. Part of the charm of Maxwell Field was the hundreds of fans who preferred to lie on the ground on the sidelines looking UP at their favorite corps marking time less than two feet in front of them. Today, that would be hard to do with all the pit crews.

And the legendary relationships between members of different corps. Oh-ma-gawd! How many boys and girls fell in love while riding the rides on the Wildwood boardwalk after marching all day at Maxwell and the traditional (very long in those days) parade along Atlantic Avenue? How many of you out there married someone you met in Wildwood?

Well, boys and girls. Once again, Maxwell Field will reverberate with the sounds of drum corps.

On Saturday, July 15, Wildwood's official junior drum corps, the Jersey Surf, will hold its 13TH SOUNDS OF THE SURF SUMMER CLASSIC at Maxwell Field. The competition begins at 7 p.m. (And guess what? If everything goes right, the Mayor of Wildwood, Ernie Troiano, says he will have about 950 new, higher, bleacher seats installed at the field. Added to the old stands, that will allow for a whole bunch of you guys to attend the show in drum corps comfort).

According to Bob Jacobs from the Surf, the lineup is as follows:

* The Spartans of Nashua, NH (2004 World Champ)

* East Coast Jazz of Malden, Mass. (2005 World Champ)

* Spirit of Newark, Newark, NJ

* Citations of Burlington, Mass.

* 7th Regiment of New London, CT.

* Raiders of Wayne, NJ

* Targets of Springfield, Mass

* Vision Elite of Brooklyn, NY

* The Jersey Surf of (Wildwood, NJ)?

And also, in exhibition, very special guests, the Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni Corps of Bayonne, NJ.

Remember, 7 p.m. on July 15th

Tickets can be obtained at (856) 753-DRUM

The show's website is: www.jerseysurf.org

Drum Corps and Maxwell Field - It's about time, don't you think!

Thom B)

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

Finally, after many years, drum corps will be returning to Wildwood's legendary Maxwell Field. If you didn't march there in either the yearly VFW or American Legion State championships, your mother or father did - or your grandmother or... you get the idea. Drum Corps at Maxwell Field has been a tradition for generations of drum corps nuts.

Almost every legendary corps along the eastern seaboard competed there, junior or senior. From the Caballeros, Muchachos, Bon Bon Girls, Bayonne Bridgemen, Blessed Sacrament, Blue Rock, Manville Sacred Heart Crusaders, the Garfield Cadets (even as far back as when they were Holy Name Cadets, I think), the Stardusters from Pompton Lakes, the Lamplighters...

You name them. Heck, Jimmy Russo even competed there back when he was with the fantastic St. Lucy's.

Maxwell Field wasn't always the greatest field to march on. In fact, the bleachers, which have always been just large enough to acommodate a small H.S. football game, weren't the greatest. Part of the charm of Maxwell Field was the hundreds of fans who preferred to lie on the ground on the sidelines looking UP at their favorite corps marking time less than two feet in front of them. Today, that would be hard to do with all the pit crews.

And the legendary relationships between members of different corps. Oh-ma-gawd! How many boys and girls fell in love while riding the rides on the Wildwood boardwalk after marching all day at Maxwell and the traditional (very long in those days) parade along Atlantic Avenue? How many of you out there married someone you met in Wildwood?

Well, boys and girls. Once again, Maxwell Field will reverberate with the sounds of drum corps.

On Saturday, July 15, Wildwood's official junior drum corps, the Jersey Surf, will hold its 13TH SOUNDS OF THE SURF SUMMER CLASSIC at Maxwell Field. The competition begins at 7 p.m. (And guess what? If everything goes right, the Mayor of Wildwood, Ernie Troiano, says he will have about 950 new, higher, bleacher seats installed at the field. Added to the old stands, that will allow for a whole bunch of you guys to attend the show in drum corps comfort).

* Raiders of Wayne, NJ

And also, in exhibition, very special guests, the Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni Corps of Bayonne, NJ.

Thom B)

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

Sorry, Guys. It just got through my thick skull that you will probably all be busy that day marching on your own somewhere. But I did want to let you know about this great show since I'll bet most of you marched a few shows at Maxwell yourselves back in the day.

Good luck this summer to all. For now, I'll see you at the Caballeros DCA opener at the Wildwoods Convention Center on June 17th.

Thom B)

• 1 month later...

* Raiders of Wayne, NJ

Thom B)

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

Just wondering how many of you out there might be coming to Maxwell Field this Saturday night. It's been a really long time since drum corps came to Maxwell.

I know the Clifton show is the same night, but for those who can't make that great show, or might not be able to travel too far from home, the Wildwoods is having a pretty good show, too. Imagine, back to back drum corps in the Wildwoods two months in a row.

Check out the lineup above. And don't forget...

The fantastic Bridgemen are coming back to Wildwood for the first time in a very, very long time.

Thom

Just wondering how many of you out there might be coming to Maxwell Field this Saturday night. It's been a really long time since drum corps came to Maxwell.

I know the Clifton show is the same night, but for those who can't make that great show, or might not be able to travel too far from home, the Wildwoods is having a pretty good show, too. Imagine, back to back drum corps in the Wildwoods two months in a row.

The fantastic Bridgemen are coming back to Wildwood for the first time in a very, very long time.

Thom

BTW - Seating is first come, first serve. If you come late, bring a lawn chair :)

Thom B)

Cant wait to be back in Wildwood-1st time there since 69!!

HYPE!!

Cant wait to be back in Wildwood-1st time there since 69!!

HYPE!!

Benny - See ya there. Come to think of it 69 may have been the last time I saw Bridgemen in Wildwood, too. Right after that I entered the Navy.

I understand the Bridgemen are absolutely monstrous this year. b**bs

They'll prpbably hear you playing all the way from Cape May! :worthy:

Thom B)

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

That's weird. I was born at Maxwell Field hospital.... Montgomery, Alabama 1975.

* Raiders of Wayne, NJ

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

Hmmm....let's see.....You list The Spartans as 2004 World Champs and East Coast Jazz as 2005 World Champs. What's missing???? :worthy:

The Raiders should be listed as 2005 Div III World Champs!!!! :worthy:

Good luck to the kids in blue as they defend their World Title.

Hmmm....let's see.....You list The Spartans as 2004 World Champs and East Coast Jazz as 2005 World Champs. What's missing???? :ph34r:

The Raiders should be listed as 2005 Div III World Champs!!!! :beer:

Good luck to the kids in blue as they defend their World Title.

Absolutely! Can't wait to see them Saturday. This show, I believe will feature some great corps coming to Wildwood from farther away than ever before. It's good that Wildwood is starting to attract some wonderful attention from our friends outside the region.

Last year, we got to see Corps Vets from Atlanta at the Caballeros Beach Party. Now it's the juniors' turn. :worthy::worthy:

Thom B)

Thom

I'm on my way now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And most of the Corp has been there since last night.

this is going to be FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! b**bs