The Cadets...

Once I heard that The Cadets were using a lot of props, I immediately thought of Bill Cook's recollections about the 1987 Star show and how much of a pain all the props were.

With the band I work with we started out the 97 season with HUGE props...7 of these 3-sided monsters on wheels that each had a painted picture illustrating a particular spot in our show. As we would get to the next spot, we'd walkie-talkie a turn command to the parents waiting inside the props...they would then rotate them to bring the next picture front-ward. they were each 8 feet long and 8 feet high...we used 4 X 8 plywood set up 'landscape' mode and mounted a second piece on top of the bottom half. Took parents a couple of hours at a show to set them up!

Ended up we needed four pictures, not three, so on one side we added this flappy thing that was controlled inside each prop....a fourth panel would drop down and reveal a fourth painting....

Talk about nightmares!

For the next three or four years...we cannibalized those huge props to build smaller and smaller ones from the existing materials as the parents got older and wiser! :)