SCREAM!

TCHSBandNerd09

i saw those "scream!!" exercises on xtremebrass.com

has anyone used them/know anyone who has used them?

do they work?

how well?

unless im gonna get good results, id rather not spend my money

its either this or xbox live . . . . . lol

so i need to make sure what id be getting is worth it

any help?

-austin

Edited by TCHSBandNerd09

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to look and see what you're talking about.

I would suggest finding a competent private teacher (of which there are many in Tuscaloosa) and work on increasing overall playing. Better range should be a byproduct of that.

If you want to do it on your own, you would be better served using standard materials like Iron's 27 Groups of Exercises, Schlossberg, Vizzutti Book 1, or Bai Lin. When you have mastered one of those, move on to the Colin book. Those are all lip flexibilities. Combine that with a steady diet of Clarke Studies and Arban (articulation, scales, arpeggios, intervals) and you'll go far.

Yeah, a private teacher would probably be the best bet. They can figure out what you're doing right and wrong and how to help you.

I would suggest finding a competent private teacher (of which there are many in Tuscaloosa) and work on increasing overall playing. Better range should be a byproduct of that.

If you want to do it on your own, you would be better served using standard materials like Iron's 27 Groups of Exercises, Schlossberg, Vizzutti Book 1, or Bai Lin. When you have mastered one of those, move on to the Colin book. Those are all lip flexibilities. Combine that with a steady diet of Clarke Studies and Arban (articulation, scales, arpeggios, intervals) and you'll go far.

Yeah, find a teacher who knows what he/she is doing. Trying to do it yourself might end up causing more harm than good.

Mr. Johnson is now deceased. For the past three years, John McElroy of the Alabama Symphony has been the teacher. The University is now seeking a full-time professor and Nancy Taylor, from Wright State in Ohio is going to be the interim teacher for next year. Give her a call, she's good!

• 1 month later...

Have you seen the exercise where you hold a pencil in your lips for 30 seconds per day for about a week. Then you progress to a minute, then two. Those who experimented, swear by it!

I just started doing the pencil bit a few days ago. It definitely works out the right muscles. Put the very end of the pencil between your lips and hold it straight out for a few minutes. feel the burn. It's too soon to hear improvement in range, but I believe this will help. Something to do at work. :) Along with proper air support, playing hi, playing low and everything else you're supposed to do. I got this off the internet. If I can find it again, I'll give the guy credit and a donation. Another concept I heard about was that higher notes require faster air. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I'm a third sop trying to get better and higher, not trying to sound like an expert.

Edited by Mike_B

Faster air... Think "cooler" (not cold) air when you get up in range. Still breath in warm air, just make it cooler as you go up in range.

Range is not an exercise in muscles or flexability of your face, I don't play all the time but I still have a nice fat high register when I play. Compression and air.

Edited by CloudHype