It was a steamy 92 degree day in Memphis yesterday. I headed out to the stadium at about 5:30, got there at about 6 and bought my tickets. I had a hard time choosing my tickets, because there were all of 4 corps at the show and the VIP seats were $25 (includes a program), Reserved seats were $18 and General seating was $14... that (to me) is an outrageous price for 4 corps. Granted Kiwanis was supposed to be there, but still... thats a lot of money. So I dished out the $18 to get reserved seating, because nothing is worse than sitting by high school band kids at a DCI show. My seats were on the 1st row on the 50, so I cant say anything about drill...

First up was Memphis Sound and the weird thing... they were late for their own homeshow! hahaha! They stepped off about 20 minutes later than scheduled. This was their first show, and you could tell somewhat. They have a very strong low brass section, but at times, they were too strong, drowning out the high brass. Also, they all need to work on blending into one big sound. I could hear individuals all over the place, but again... this was their first show. Drumline seems to be driving this corps right now, they are very strong. They do not have their new guard uniforms yet, so everyone was just wearing black. My girlfriend (former guard member) said they did pretty good for the first time out. They only had about 1/2 to 2/3 of the show finished, the last part they formed a big M and stood and finished out the music. I like the music a lot, it is very catchy. They play some well known tunes, but I cant think of the names of them. Overall, it will be interesting to see how they place in Div II. I will say that their stand still encore after the show... they have a very powerful brass line... just need to work on keeping the same volume and tone while marching.

Next we have The Magic, or Magic of Orlando as I like to call them... because The Magic.... well that's just weird. After seeing them last year, I wasnt expecting too much... and its a good thing. The opener started ok, but then it just got worse and worse from there. They are playing one of the tunes from the Disney Millenium Celebration (made popular by the Cadets in 2000) and that song is just too hard for the Magic brassline to pull off. Once again, I think the Percussion will carry the corps. Guard also did not have their uniforms, and they were all in white. There was one young man, the feature dancer I believe, who really needs to get some longer shorts. They had a very forgettable show... and that is a bad thing. And also... they did not even show up for Finale. All the Drum Majors were there... except for Magic. And I know they were still there, because their busses were there... whats up with that?

Next up Southwind. I liked their show, liked the concept, and just about everything about their show. Once again, they were one of my favorites of the night, just like last year. The color schemes work well for this show, with the High Brass wearing white pants and the low brass and drumline wearing black pants. They had a nice hornline sound, and the color guard actually had uniforms! They started out being a light and dark blue mix, then towards the end of the show, they take them off and are in some really bright orange things by the end. Again, since I was on the first row... no drill :(

And finally, The Phantom Regiment took the field. Gotta love the uniforms, nice and crisp white unis with the black sash. Phantom continues to have one of the best sounding hornlines in DCI in my opinion, and they proved it once again this evening. I would really like to hear this show a couple of more times, because I am not familiar with the music, but the ballad was VERY nice. It was like "taking a bath in chocolate!" Very nice sound coming out of the "Bari-prano's" the best part is, after the Sops put down their horns and pick up their Baris.. there is a little bari feature for them so that we know they are actually playing, not just holding the horn. Very nice moments in the ballad. The guard also had their uniforms... and they must have visited a local S&M shop for the guys uniforms. They are wearing full black masks over their heads. I tried to get a picture of it, and will post what I can when I get home. I can see this show being in the Top 5... but to get into the top 3, they will have to do some big changes IMHO. Best part of the night was the Regiment Anniversary encore. Playing Spartacus, Cannon in D, New World Symphony and a few others... but sadly... no Amazing Grace... I even requested it from the DM as he directed the corps right next to me!

I will try to post some pictures when I get home from work!

thats for the review- i agree very much with your phantom thoughts-

"First up was Memphis Sound and the weird thing... they were late for their own homeshow! "

Actually, the show was delayed for 20 minutes due to a problem with Magic - not sure on the particulars, but they "hit" something with their equipment truck.

Oh, I just figured it was Memphis since they were first up.

Oh, I just figured it was Memphis since they were first up.

sooooooooooo when are we gonna get to see some pictures :worthy:

sorry... hopefully tonight.

Bump for Pics!!

Memphis Sound:

DSCN0783.jpg

DSCN0789.jpg

Magic of Orlando:

DSCN0795.jpg

DSCN0799.jpg

Southwind:

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0810.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

Phantom Regiment:

DSCN0818.jpg

S&M, Drum Corps Style!

DSCN0823.jpg

DSCN0831.jpg

ha ha, Memphis really does look blue in the pictures. but we know there is no beating the purple and black.

wow i really like Sdubs unis... THANKS for the pic

magic with pink drums?