Mike Jackson & SCV

Jeffe77

Had a cool conversation with Mike Jackson (SCV Percussion Co-Caption Head) at the Riverside show. My buddies are friends with him and his wife Jenn and they introduce me to him. I had an opportunity to ask him some questions in regards to how he got the gig with SCV and how he was able to bring in his flavor and yet keep the SCV tradition intact.

For those who don't know, he marched with the Blue Knights in 92 under Ralph Hardimon, so he has the SCV influence like Casella & Gusseck. He shared with me that he wanted to make it a priority to keep the SCV vibe with the line. He didn't want to come in and do an overhaul. As far as the battery staff is concern: Mike kept Kent Cater and Robert Chavira on staff which to me is the anchor of the SCV sound. Kent with the Bass Line and Robert with the Cymbal line.

Mike felt it was important to not only surround himself with people he's comfortable working with, but more importantly surround himself with SCV folks. He wanted to have a staff that understands the SCV tradition and not just a bunch of "Outsiders".

He brought back Jonathan Steele from last year's staff. He then brought in Tony Nunez (Quad Tech) who marched with SCV in 02, Micah Hardwick (Snare Tech) who aged out year in 2004. Chris Cyr (Bass Tech) who aged out year in 2001 and Leo Sanchez (Cym Tech) who also aged out year in 2004.

He said that there were 2 people (I believe that was Micah and Jonathan - not sure about Jonathan though) on his staff he had not worked with prior to this year and basically had somewhat of a tryout for them. Checking out their technique and just hung with them to see if they were on the same page as Mike. He said they totally clicked and was a perfect fit with his staff.

I also witnessed his reverence for SCV when he pulled aside the center Snare drummer introduced him to my friend who marched snare in 86 and also introduced the Bassline to another friend who marched Bass in 88.. We joked around about the fact that some weren't even born when they marched...haha. But this exchange demonstrated his desire to keep in place the SCV Tradition.

Just thought I share some insights that I got from Mike. He was really nice guy and appreciated him taking the time to talk to me briefly. Thanks Mike.

Jeffe

(Has been edited to appease on July 13, 2006)

Edited by Jeffe77

• 2 weeks later...
Had a cool conversation with Mike Jackson (SCV Percussion Co-Caption Head) at the Riverside show. My buddies are friends with him and his wife Jenn and they introduce me to him. I had an opportunity to ask him some questions in regards to how he got the gig with SCV and how he was able to bring in his flavor and yet keep the SCV tradition intact.

For those who don't know, he marched with the Blue Knights in 92 under Ralph Hardimon, so he has the SCV influence like Casella & Gusseck. He shared with me that he wanted to make it a priority to keep the SCV vibe with the line. He didn't want to come in and do an overhaul. As far as the battery staff is concern: Mike kept Kent Cater and Robert Chavira on staff which to me is the anchor of the SCV sound. Kent with the Bass Line and Robert with the Cymbal line.

Mike felt it was important to not only surround himself with people he's comfortable working with, but more importantly surround himself with SCV folks. He wanted to have a staff that understands the SCV tradition and not just a bunch of "Outsiders".

He brought back Jonathan Steele from last year's staff. He then brought in Tony Nunez (Quad Tech) who marched with SCV in 02, Micah Hardwick (Snare Tech) who aged out year in 2004. Chris Cyr (Bass Tech) who aged out year in 2001 and Leo Sanchez (Cym Tech) who also aged out year in 2004.

He said that there were 2 people (I believe that was Micah and Jonathan - not sure about Jonathan though) on his staff he had not worked with prior to this year and basically had somewhat of a tryout for them. Checking out their technique and just hung with them to see if they were on the same page as Mike. He said they totally clicked and was a perfect fit with his staff.

I also witnessed his reverence for SCV when he pulled aside the center Snare drummer introduced him to my friend Joe Segovia who marched snare in 86 and also introduced the Bassline to Danny Echeveria who marched Bass in 88.. We joked around about the fact that some weren't even born when they marched...haha. But this exchange demonstrated his desire to keep in place the SCV Tradition.

Just thought I share some insights that I got from Mike. He was really nice guy and appreciated him taking the time to talk to me briefly. Thanks Mike.

Jeffe

Hey! Jeffe77

That a great conversation you had.

ok lets all start name dropping

I talked to someone important at a booth at wgi finals this year. his name was tom something.

Edited by headbox

I talked to someone important at a booth at wgi finals this year. his name was tom something.

I saw your original post. Do you have a problem with someone talking to a corps caption head and talking about it? Seems somewhat juvenile. <**>

I saw your original post. Do you have a problem with someone talking to a corps caption head and talking about it? Seems somewhat juvenile. <**>

you are correct, bragging that you talked to a caption head is very childish.

WOW!! I wasn't expecting this type of response. God forbid that I share insights on new caption head's philosophy on taking over SCV. My intent wasn't to name drop. I simply wanted to share his thoughts because last I checked; there weren't any interviews on Mike Jackson taking over SCV and his insights on running the line. I'm not going to apologize for "name dropping" because I have nothing to prove. I meet and hang out with a lot of people like.....OH WAIT....can't name drop....or the name drop Nazis will come after me....AHHHHH b**bs . hehe. Relax guys :P .

Take the post at face value. If you want criticize the post for content or dispute what I'm reporting then feel free....but accusing me of name dropping, now that's Childish! <**>

WOW!! I wasn't expecting this type of response. God forbid that I share insights on new caption head's philosophy on taking over SCV. My intent wasn't to name drop. I simply wanted to share his thoughts because last I checked; there weren't any interviews on Mike Jackson taking over SCV and his insights on running the line. I'm not going to apologize for "name dropping" because I have nothing to prove. I meet and hang out with a lot of people like.....OH WAIT....can't name drop....or the name drop Nazis will come after me....AHHHHH b**bs . hehe. Relax guys :P .

Take the post at face value. If you want criticize the post for content or dispute what I'm reporting then feel free....but accusing me of name dropping, now that's Childish! <**>

Relaxed here. Thanks for the insight. I saw his post before he edited it. Agreed. He came across as childish.