Don't hate *me* cause I'm beautiful.

That was written in 1963. The Cabs of the 60's and 70's were drum corps gods among men. I was born 30 years too late. Took me 8 seasons with Hawthorne to win 1. The odd thing is, the people who have been arround us since that era tell us some of the corps from the last 10 years are the best to ever come through Hawthorne. I guess this is a testiment to our competition. You have really stepped it up. I think all of DCA has stepped it up. What I'm most proud of is that we are always there, always a threat, and you can never really relax if we are at a show.

Caballero Pride!

From the article:

"Very unfortunately, and also very unfairly, there still exists a small but noisy scattering of corpsmen who refuse, despite the overwhelming weight of facts, to give Hawthorne the credit that properly is due them. Each year, one hears or reads of charges that "Hawthorne is dull", "their music never changes", "they don't do a thing out there", "their uniforms hide a lot of drill mistakes", and "Hawthorne's drill is very repetitious"."

I had to chuckle when I read that. To the word, those are almost entirely the same things folks said about Brigs when the corps was winning its many consecutive championships (all but one of which was own before my time with the corps, so I think I have a generally unbiased perspective). It just goes to show you that no matter the era, people hate it when somebody wins "too many." I'm sure the same thing will be said about anyone else who wins a few in a row. But with the competition these days, that does seem to be harder than ever! Guess it falls under the "some things never change" category - for better or worse!

Nanci, what a fantastic site you've developed. I'm glad you posted something from it here so that we all could be made aware of it!

April, you guys were a machine! We have a lot of respect for the Briggs durring those years. God, we could NOT ***ing beat you! I have to tell you, the win in West Haven in 03 felt better than winning DCA's. It was like tring to break through a steel door and finally it moved a little. Yeah, everybody has their little Dynasty. It is just so hard to have one nowadays.