Spirit 2006 = ...

A reviewer says that Spirit has about 56 horns (I thought they had 64--could be a few injuries though)....anyway--its interesting because the hornline has a comparable wall of sound that the corps with (I think) 72 horns have. At the B'ham show, it was evident that Phantom was louder but then I remembered the differences in the hornline size--yet the intensity of Spirit's sound was consistant with Cadets and Phantom.

Edited by melloflava

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way I cannot wait to get on the road in July and get my face blown off every day.

Personally, I'd love for us (Spirit) to take the old Madison view. Who cares about the placement as long as the crowd loves us. Of course being an Alumni, I'd love to see my old team do well scorewise, but I'd be lying if I said that mattered to me more than hearing Georgia in the Encore.

GO BABY BLUE!!

This could be (potentially) the best Spirit since '87.

This could be (potentially) the best Spirit since '87.

I think that's pretty accurate. Their brass is much improved over the last 2 years. I thought they had a pretty big sound at the beginning of 2003, but am not sure what it sounded like in person at the end of the season. Too bad the soloist had the sore in/on his mouth at the B-ham show, cause I would have loved to hear that (in Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters) played. Here's 2 thumbs up for significant improvement from the brass, and better musical choices and arrangements this year!

Too bad the soloist had the sore in/on his mouth at the B-ham show, cause I would have loved to hear that (in Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters) played.

His name is Adam Daniel ( :lol: Madison screamer from last year), it did suck that he had a bad night. But I'm sure he's been lighting it up every night and will continue to do so.

Kudos to the kids ( they occasionally get to hear about this stuff on the road) and I am so pleased they have made the strides they have this year. The new brass guys, Chip Crotts, Ray Vasquez, as well as the techs, have done a good job of preparing these kids and giving them a solid bit of brass pedagogy to start their summer. The brass staff is making sure that the kids who experience Spirit this summer will return as better brass musicians. Not a bad way to spend your summer, huh?