Oh The Pain!

kaviguardguy

We were doing a "wrap around the waist, wrap around the neck, catch at the base of your skull" kind of thing with flags and I happened to miss the "catch at the base of your skull" and whapped myself good on the nubbins at the base of the skull. Big ol' goose egg! I actually saw stars! It was huge for about 2 weeks before it finally went down. Yow!

Luckily, other than that, the injury gods were very good to me during my marching years in high school and college.

Whispers quietly:

:::thank you:::

• 2 months later...

I didn't do Tour, but I did do winterguard, and I'll just say that I think I am the most accident prone person in the world!! Let me put it this way, my nickname in 2002 was Bruiser... getting the idea? I think the worst 2 incidents (I can't pick between the 2) are....

I had had minimal training on saber, but because I could dance, they threw me on the saber line and said do a triple blade :whip: .... riiiiiiight.... After I tried a couple singles and got that... then I just went for the triple. So on the singles it is a lot easier to control and you put your thumb up to steady it (is what they told me). So after I caught the triple and the hilt crashed into my thumb.... I learned not to put my thumb up anymore! I was on the floor, crying my eyes out, and my instructor comes up to me and starts explaining what I did wrong... Like I could compute anything at that moment!!

Second one, we weren't even on the floor yet! We were in warm-up going over this partnering section that we had. I did my turn and my pinky toe didn't go with me.... b**bs I looked down, and it was bleeding, but there was no cut... it was somehow bleeding through my skin or something.... WEIRDEST thing EVER! So, then, I had to go out and perform on it! To make matters worse, guess who was feature dancer... yeah.... it was fabulous! A day later there was the ugliest bruise I have ever had and that covered half my foot! It was gorgeous!

All right, well, mine isn't so bad, but it was somewhat embarrassing. I was warming up for winterguard at james logan high school in union city. it was really windy, and we were in a pretty oddly shaped space outside. i was in an alcove thingy about 10 feet square, as i remember, which is plenty of room to toss and such (without wind, that is). Anyways, i tossed a flag double and next thing i knew i was literally on the ground. i remember looking up and realizing that the flag was going crazy and i had no place to run. apparently the end of the flag with the big bolt in it hit me. i found out afterward that it was a slight concussion, but at the time i just put ice on for a while, then warmed up and did the show with a gigantic lump on my forehead :whip:

also, has anyone ever done the one where you toss something pretty fast on rifle and don't get your left hand onto it in time and the tip comes up, hitting you in the jaw? gotta love it.

Summer 1994 marching somewhere in the midwest (like montana, wyoming or something) - big build to a HOT rifle toss right in front - and right into the sun......rifle up, rifle down, smashing my nose. I had to stand in teh showers at some community college washing the blood and mucous out of my head.

Needless to say I was back on the field about a hour later. I can't remember if we won the show that night or not.

Summer 1994 marching somewhere in the midwest (like montana, wyoming or something) - big build to a HOT rifle toss right in front - and right into the sun......rifle up, rifle down, smashing my nose.  I had to stand in teh showers at some community college washing the blood and mucous out of my head.

Needless to say I was back on the field about a hour later.  I can't remember if we won the show that night or not.

Think maybe you had a concussion?!

Naw...

We're tougher than that, right?

Ha!

Sokkerboie, I admire your perserverence!

My only major injury came my junior year of high school.

My friend had her flag on the ground and I accidently stepped on it, and she pulled it out and I fell and when I put my hand out to catch myself, I broke my wrist. :( But, since I am known as the class clown, the band director and the guard instructor didn't believe me when I told them it hurt REALLY BAD. ^0^

The next day when I came in with a cast on, they belived it then...

We had a really cool show that year and it was my first year on rifle, and I was really bummed because most of the season I had a cast on my hand.