Oh The Pain!

kaviguardguy

Ok throughout the year i know that many of us if not all of us will get injured in some way shape or form. I was just wondering what was either the funniest injury or the worst injury that you have gotten while on Tour.....

I know it sounds ^0^ evil to ask a question like this but hey now we can look back on those days and laugh.....hopefully!

Edited by kaviguardguy

Well, not a tour story (I play baritone on tour) but it is a guard injury story. Long story short, in our winter guard show we had these 8' or 9' tall flats that we danced on and stuff..... well I was up there and kind of forget to pay attention to where I was dancing (kind of a free-style thing, no set placement) and I ended up dancing over nothing. I pulled off the landing though lol. Everyone knows the trick is making it look like you were SUPPOSED to do whatever crazy thing ends up happening. It hurt like a mother though. Gym floors are quite unforgiving.

You gotta love when the sabre falls on your wrist.

I really enjoyed breaking my baby toe in Port Huron, MI in 1980...at the end of the first number there was a short drum break where the flags threw backwards over the rifles heads, the 2nd flip was a 5 with the flags behind us throwing from back to front, (both blind tosses) we caught the rifle kneeling down, unfortunately mine didn't get the last 1/2 revolution and I caught with the right hand and the rifle scraped the ground and slammed into my boot and my baby toes just cried and cried.

There is no cure for a broken toe, maybe there is now, that was the Jurasic era, but we had a show the next day in Canada...loved marching with 1 boot and 1 black sock.....especially during retreat giving commands, um I kind of stuck way out....

The Scouts people should really enjoy those 2 blind rifle tosses as they were the first corps to beat us in 1980 as a hurricane came through Malden, MA. I asked Zingali if we could forego that last toss or make it a quad or a triple? Of course we couldn't....we dropped 9 rifles on that 1 toss....and the Scouts beat us...by 4 or 5 tenths...it was made into a quad after that!!!

Sorry just checked the score it was 76.35 to 76.40...not 4 or 5 tenths But that was a looooooooooooooong time ago! :angry::lol::angry:

Edited by LancerFi

In 01 during all days-- we were doing one of our many daily run' throughs. During the closer we had a barrel roll at the front of the field, about 8 steps back, and we all know how rehearsal fields are, so i landed on the edge of a hole, and twisted my ankle. When i tried to get up to go on, my ankle was hurting so bad that i couldnt get up. i know i have to get out of the way so i crawled under some pit equpiment. I sat there patiently, crying, waiting for the run to get over so i can get some ice, cause if i try to get out at that point i'll run in to people. But our WONDERFULL flag tech helps me off the field.

Not SUPER funny, but kinda. Imagine hiding under a LOUD bass drum. :angry:

Jenn, sounds like pretty fast thinking to me, great idea!

Well, I don't know if it counts as an injury or not, but towards the end of tour in 2000 my wrists were really hating it. I had to lay in bed an extra 10 minutes every morning (we always had an hour for breakfast, etc) just stretching my arms out. At shows, my forearms started to go numb. I never even noticed it until one night I dropped completely randomly. I didn't even realize the flag was not in my hands until it hit my feet! It was scary and strange, and I was mad at myself for dropping. To combat this, I started applying extra strength Ben-Gay to my forearms at the end of warmup before we hit the field. It burned/tingled like crazy, but I could definitely feel my arms! I even had most of the guard doing it by finals - we also had a couple bum shoulders and knees to contend with that year. Crazy!

last weekend while attempting a quad that I haven't done since high school (which was about 100 years ago) the rifle landed on my BARE foot (yeah, i know, it's dumb to spin w/o shoes....what ever). It hit SO HARD that everyone thought it hit THE GROUND....nope..that was my foot. I absolutely can not believe I didn't break anything. HOWEVER, the whole top of my foot is this deep blueish/purple....strange..... :(

My first full weekend at Bucs...it's Sunday morning and we're doing our first extensive dance session on a parking lot. We start doing tour d'airs (sp?) and on my very first one, BANG! My left ankle twists and down I go. The worst part was that I couldn't even curse because we had a lot of young people in the guard (our youngest was only 15). I sit out for a bit, but manage to stand and learn some work. Then we go down to the field to learn drill. I'm just walking to find my drill set and BANG! Down I go again. It was so embarassing.

I ended up spraining the ankle, and now my left ankle has a tendency to twist if I step wrong. Two years have gone by and my fellow guard members in indoor still crack jokes about it. Thankfully I've never seriously injured it since (knock on wood), and thankfully this year's guard staff at Bucs knows me and my ankle troubles all too well...so they know I won't be a candidate for the Philly Ballet anytime soon!

:angry:

This year on tour we were at a rest stop just barely in Pennsylvania waiting for the food truck to catch up so we could have breakfast. Some guard members including myself were all sore so we decided to lay down in the glass and do some stretches. Well as I was laying down something bit me. Yup, I was bitten by something I have no idea what it was, but it hurt like a b*tch! Anyways a few days later our corps was at the North American Open. Inbetween Prelims and finals I wa rushed the the ER at a hospital in Erie by the guy in charge of the snack bar at the show who happened to be the manager type person of the ER. By now my left leg was twice its normal size and the bite was swollen and about 4 inces in diameter. It was really gross. The doctor gave me a perscription to take. I was rushed in an out and we madly drove back to the show so I could perform in finals, but they were canceled due to a storm. The busses had already left the show site and I got to ride back to our housing site with the food staff. A day later I did a double into my face and really screwed up my nose. It was not pretty either. Needless to say Pennsylvania holds some "fond" memories. hehe B)

Man, and I thought I was bad. I have Steve Brubaker to thanks for all the pain I received in all my years in colorguard. In the 1980 Cavalier show during the end of the drum solo the guard was working on its 50 yard line climax. There is one blind flag toss, and one blind rifle toss. During our first run though at tempo, some of us ended up out of alignment. I was hit in the arm with a rifle that left a big bruise, and hit in the back with a flag at the same moment. I had everyone cracking up when I ran and hid under the bleachers. It was safe there!

In 1981 we used double rifles during concert. My first try at spinning over my head, the rifle landed right on top of my noggin half knocking me out. It left a rather large sized lump on me head. I got hurt that same year about a half a dozen times during winter guard season. Steve had us throwing everything but my grandmother in her wheelchair across the basket ball floor that year. I continued to march even with a broken thumb for three weeks.. My family thought I was insane to keep marching until they saw ther results.

In my high school colorguard we did a triple back to back exchange ala PR 1980 show(we did it a year earlier) and my partners rifle almost caught me on the head had I not put my hands up. Surprisingly I was able to keep it from hitting the ground., but dang my arms sure did hurt.

deft(the beat up))guy