Judging Bias

I think judges sometimes keep point spreads too close, so no one gets their feelings hurt. :)

Edited by headbox

I think he was referring to the size of the corps being a factor in scoring.

A smaller corps does have a harder time generating visual effect, that can't be argued, but that's not to say a small corps with a well designed and executed show can't be succesful. There have been many cases of division III corps beating corps twice their size (literally).

I could've sworn they only had 8 horns that year, but whatever: the point is the same. Mandarins were incredible in '92. I remember watching them rehearse and just being awestruck by what so few people could do.

Jason, you can go crazy trying to second-guess the judges. At Alliance, sometimes our small size hurt us, mainly for visual GE reasons, but other times, the judges took into account how small we were and gave us credit for it. It cut both ways, and I'm sure it still does.

My advice to you is the same I'm sure you'd give your members. Just go out there and do what you do, and let the judges worry about numbers. Whether or not there's a bias at this point is immaterial. Put on a quality show and the rest will follow.