PR over Blue!

They don't have the best product they've ever had, but it's definitely championship material.

But you see, this is where BD, and some others get a pass. It's not their best product, but it will still win. To me, there's something wrong with that. If Blue Coats were doing this show, would it be their BEST product?

RM - not BD again

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you see, this is where BD, and some others get a pass. It's not their best product, but it will still win. To me, there's something wrong with that. If Blue Coats were doing this show, would it be their BEST product?

See, I don't see the problem here. All a championship means is you had a combination of design and performance that was better than anyone else that year. Design can cover some performance flaws and performance can cover some design flaws, but both have to be excellent.

Take 2004 for instance. Was it Cavaliers' best show ever? Of course not. But did they have the best combination of design and performance in 2004? Of course they did. Blue Devils had design issues (though I am sure some will disagree with me) and SCV had performance issues. No one else was close.

Bluecoats this year look like they have the best combination of design and performance they have ever had. But seeing the shows side to side, I don't think they have even the tiniest chance of beating the Blue Devils and/or taking the title this year. I don't think it's a "politics" thing, it's just a design and performance thing. BD is just plain better. Coats are on the way, but they're still at least one more year from being a true championship contender.

Rocketman, I'm just curious...did you guys get to see the Blue Devils perform at finals in '79?

I'm just curious as to whether or not you saw them and thought "oh yeah, we got 'em" or you just put it all on the line at finals and liked your chances?

I've just seen the video of Phantom being absolutely stunned when the scores were announced

So...for the 3rd time...I'm just curious

It WAS good...that's why I'm asking

Holy colorguard

When Phantom made changes in their show they had trouble beating Bluecoats. And now Bluecoats just added changes to their show and they fell a half point behind Phantom. It is still very close and I cannot even begin to make a prediction for finals. We'll see what happens when both corps are clean!

When Phantom made changes in their show they had trouble beating Bluecoats. And now Bluecoats just added changes to their show and they fell a half point behind Phantom. It is still very close and I cannot even begin to make a prediction for finals. We'll see what happens when both corps are clean!

I dont think it was the changes that held Bluecoats back tonight, I think it was a political hump they have to get over.

Just my opinion, but on the feed I thought Bluecoats by far had a better show tonight. It was my first viewing for all of the corps this summer.

Regardless of the scores, I'll still be rooting for PR all summer long. SUTA!!

Dave Gilday

Phantom Regiment Soprano 98-01

I dont think it was the changes that held Bluecoats back tonight, I think it was a political hump they have to get over.

Just my opinion, but on the feed I thought Bluecoats by far had a better show tonight. It was my first viewing for all of the corps this summer.

Regardless of the scores, I'll still be rooting for PR all summer long. SUTA!!

Dave Gilday

Phantom Regiment Soprano 98-01

i agree... but dont say it too loudly because then that makes you a 'conspiracy theorist'! hehe

both shows rule- i literally have no inside information, but i wouldnt be shocked if blue edited the ending- they've done that the last few years...

on another note- i LOVED watching the live feed and talking live about it on AOL- i mean... we were all watching the same thing at the exact same time and talking about it right there!- how perfect was that? we all noticed changes and it was so great to talk to other DCI fans that had more inside info than like... my parents, or just random fans- it was like live diagnosis of what we were seeing- and i enjoyed that a lot- WOOT!

i think the judges will get it right in the end- and if phantom ends up over blue ,and deserves it, then hey-thats cool- i think they both have amazing shows- i think bluecoats are pushing for their personal best show of all time, even if it is a large departure from last year's show that gained wide approval from the DCI community- i think it will still go down as their best show ever- (until 2007 of course!)... i dont know how phantom's show fits in- i think its awesome- but when i stack it up against shows like... 2003, and 2005, i think it falls flat- but hey- i'm a blue homer and my opinion and analysis probably isnt worth the free space that this is taking up on the screen right now... so there's that for ya

edit- and bluecoats beat phantom's brass and nobody seems that suprised, and i dont see anyone saying much about that... i mean... thats kind of a big deal, right? these are supposedly the living Gods of drum corps brass we are talking about here, right? (thats not sarcasm, i actually think phantom's brass line is amazing) i dunno... just thought that deserved some mentioning...

Edited by nero14