PR over Blue!

edit- and bluecoats beat phantom's brass and nobody seems that suprised, and i dont see anyone saying much about that... i mean... thats kind of a big deal, right? these are supposedly the living Gods of drum corps brass we are talking about here, right? (thats not sarcasm, i actually think phantom's brass line is amazing) i dunno... just thought that deserved some mentioning...

In 2001, we beat Phantom in brass more than a couple of times. I recall after one regional we were joking that we were the "G Bugle Champions" because we beat all the other corps who were using G horns in the brass caption. I think we were 6th in brass on Finals night. Since 2001, I'd say the Bluecoats have been pretty competitive with Phantom in that caption. It's hard to find to find old recaps though.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feeling is that it will be close, which is pretty much what we all know. The Bluecoats have one of the best all-around packages, a super brass line, percussion section, and guard. The visual is excellent and very well designed, and they are no where near clean.

Phantom also has just an amazing show. Great brass, drums, and guard. And yes, while guard and visual have generally hurt them to this point, this is pretty much what they did last year. They clean, adjust, and pretty soon that visual and that guard start looking great and picking up big numbers.

Two great corps, two great shows...you have to like that.

Two great corps, two great shows...you have to like that.

No doubt. I hate it when my favorite shows are the Bluecoats' closest competitors. :P

Last year, my favorites were Coats, Madison, Crown. This year it's Coats, PR, Crown.

Rocketman, I'm just curious...did you guys get to see the Blue Devils perform at finals in '79?

I'm just curious as to whether or not you saw them and thought "oh yeah, we got 'em" or you just put it all on the line at finals and liked your chances?

I've just seen the video of Phantom being absolutely stunned when the scores were announced

So...for the 3rd time...I'm just curious

Unfortunately, no. I think what just totally blows me away about that year was two weeks previosuly at US Open Prelims, with the exact same judging slate, we were .20 up on BD in GE. At finals in Birmingham, we're now 1.3 behind just in GE. That's a 1.5 swing! If they were saying BD was that much better that night, well, I'd have to disagree because, just by using execution scores, that would not have appeared to be the case. They held a .25 edge in Brass, we had .15 in Percussion and .60 in marching, yet lose GE by 1.3 (4th overall)! Not meant as a bag on BD by any stretch because they were great but, come on with those GE scores.

Had GE even been close, we'd have taken that Championship.

RM - not bitter

Edited by Rocketman

Yeah I noticed the beating you guys took in GE..surprising, yes

edit- and bluecoats beat phantom's brass and nobody seems that suprised, and i dont see anyone saying much about that... i mean... thats kind of a big deal, right? these are supposedly the living Gods of drum corps brass we are talking about here, right? (thats not sarcasm, i actually think phantom's brass line is amazing) i dunno... just thought that deserved some mentioning...

I definitely think Coats brass deserved to beat PR's. They weren't that hot to me after the changes they made recently. I DO think they will get much better, and back to that Phantom sound everyone is looking for. But comparatively, I do think coats deserve the win over PR in Brass.

I'll say they'll trade a few more times. Finals? Anyone's guess.

exactly, the margin of victory for PR was small and both have been scoring around the same lately. it will be a back and forth battle.

Bluecoats and Phantom will be at each other's throats for the rest of the season and this race won't be over until they run out of shows in Madison. History seems to be on Blue's side because the last few years they have pulled it out on finals night. In 2004 moving ahead of Crown and in 2005 moving ahead of Scouts. (Even though they should have been ahead at semis, anyway) This will definately make it interesting.