What type of heads should I buy for our Dynasty Drums?

Kansan

We just purchased a lightly used Dynasty Battery. I'll probably end up calling Dynasty for their recomendations, but until then, what do you guys think? :blink:

Edited by Kansan

A lot of it depends on personal preference and the sound you're looking for, but if it were up to me...

Snare batter: Remo White Max or Black Max.

Snare side: Remo Clear Snare Side (SA-0314-TD for 14" drums). Or Ludwig extra thin (C1114 for 14" drums).

Tenors: Remo Suede Emperor or Renaissance Emperor. They seem to give a little more tone than Remo Clear Pinstripes. (Pinstripes aren't a bad selection either, and have been the tenor standard for over two decades.)

Spock: Remo Smooth White Emperor. Nice pop, not too much ping, and those things can be cranked through the roof while taking a pretty good beating.

Bass: I like the Evans MX1 bass heads because they're good heads and their muffling setup is pretty convenient. I've also been wanting to try the Remo PowerMax, which are basically Smooth White Ambassadors (good heads) plus a muffling ring sorta similar to Evans'. If you don't do the Evans MX1 or Remo PowerMax, go with the Smooth White Ambassadors, but you'll need to use foam strips (or something else) to muffle them.

black max on the snares and evans on the basses is pretty generaly regarded as the way to go.... tenor head selection i don't know about so i won't comment on

Well, feel free to tell me if I Screwed up or not.

I picked up some Remo White Max (batter heads), Remo Ambassador Hazy (snare side heads). I chose the White Max heads because of durability.

For the Tenors, I picked up some Remo Pinstripe Clear. This was choice was made because several people mentioned them and they are realitively inexpensive.

The Bass Drum Heads are still in good shape and will be used until they break. They are Remo Smooth White Ambasadors.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sounds mostly OK. I can't give you any grief since you probably did a better job picking up percussion stuff than I'd do with brass! (I know I'd feel lost trying to select a mouthpiece!)

The White Maxes are a good choice for your snares. Clear Pinstripes, while not the flavor du jour for a number of corps, have been the de facto standard on tenors for years and they'll serve you just fine. Don't count on using the bass heads 'til they break since they generally don't break unless abused, but it's fine to get a lot of mileage out of the ones you've got if they're in good shape.

My only real concern is about your snare side heads... Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a Hazy Ambassador marching head. The mylar on marching snare side heads is almost perfectly flat with the flesh hoop (the metal part of the rim) to accommodate the head stretching under higher tensions than you'd see on a drum set or concert snare. On a non-marching head, there's a collar of half an inch or so where the mylar rises from the flesh hoop before forming the flat part of the head that stretches across the drum. Because of that collar, it's easy to crank the bottom head to the point the wood of the shell is exposed past the rim. To make sure you've got the right thing, I'd suggest making sure the part number on Remo mylar snare side heads ends in "-TD" (not "-00"). Either that or plan on double-rimming the snare sides right away.

Edited by SkyDog

DrumHeads:In that www.Remo.com

Oh! Yea,Way to use the colon SkyDog :wink::wink::wink::worthy:

colonspiritTerrance

Edited by Terrance I.McGee

Sounds mostly OK. I can't give you any grief since you probably did a better job picking up percussion stuff than I'd do with brass! (I know I'd feel lost trying to select a mouthpiece!)

The White Maxes are a good choice for your snares. Clear Pinstripes, while not the flavor du jour for a number of corps, have been the de facto standard on tenors for years and they'll serve you just fine. Don't count on using the bass heads 'til they break since they generally don't break unless abused, but it's fine to get a lot of mileage out of the ones you've got if they're in good shape.

My only real concern is about your snare side heads... Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a Hazy Ambassador marching head. The mylar on marching snare side heads is almost perfectly flat with the flesh hoop (the metal part of the rim) to accommodate the head stretching under higher tensions than you'd see on a drum set or concert snare. On a non-marching head, there's a collar of half an inch or so where the mylar rises from the flesh hoop before forming the flat part of the head that stretches across the drum. Because of that collar, it's easy to crank the bottom head to the point the wood of the shell is exposed past the rim. To make sure you've got the right thing, I'd suggest making sure the part number on Remo mylar snare side heads ends in "-TD" (not "-00"). Either that or plan on double-rimming the snare sides right away.

Sky Dog,

Yea, I'll double check those snare side heads. The guys at Explorers in KC didn't seem too comfortable selling marching stuff.

Kansan.

One other thing that didn't come to mind when I was half asleep replying to stuff last night...

Make sure those pinstripe tenor heads are the crimplock version made for marching drums. Otherwise, there's a decent chance the heads will pull out of the flesh hoops under tension. If it's a crimplock head, it'll say right on the head under the Remo crown logo and the part number on the box will end in "-MP" instead of "-00".

One other thing that didn't come to mind when I was half asleep replying to stuff last night...

Make sure those pinstripe tenor heads are the crimplock version made for marching drums. Otherwise, there's a decent chance the heads will pull out of the flesh hoops under tension. If it's a crimplock head, it'll say right on the head under the Remo crown logo and the part number on the box will end in "-MP" instead of "-00".

I rechecked the Tenor heads and they are correct. :grouphug:

I use a Hazy Ambassador Snare Side on my personal snare and it does a very good job. You shouldn't have much of a problem with them. Nice response with White Maxes (at least in my experience)

Edited by Percussion827