The drumline playing in Phantom's ballad has got to go

I want to say it was 89 Cadets where the writers placed one tune on top of another tune, and to someone who didn't know what they were trying to do, it sounded like a mess. However, it was one of the most incredible ideas I've ever heard on the field. You should check it out, and maybe you can see what maybe PR was trying to do...

Yeah, that was '89, the Les Mis show, but they were just doing what Les Mis does -- layering one song on top of another. They did it really well, and I love that show, but they didn't come up with the idea themselves (apart from saying "Let's do that bit in Les Mis where the two songs are layered on top of one another!").

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HRoth,

It's good to know that you are as emotional about DCI as I am, or even most of us for that matter. I do hope you march atleast one year and experience the way music is brought together. Your opinion is your opinion, and we should not blast you for that. Personally, I wish drumlines would ram notes during ballads...jk

I want to say it was 89 Cadets where the writers placed one tune on top of another tune, and to someone who didn't know what they were trying to do, it sounded like a mess. However, it was one of the most incredible ideas I've ever heard on the field. You should check it out, and maybe you can see what maybe PR was trying to do...

Just my $.02

LOVE the '89 show...one of my all time favorite Cadets shows. That part you mentioned is great, and I love the way it all comes together after that (with members continually filling into the form until it finally hits). Defitely their must emotional show ever, just simply amazing. Beautiful ballad as well. Oh shoot, the drumline played during their ballad, didn't they... Well I still don't think it fits in Phantom's, but I'll deal with it. It's not THAT noticeable.

Just my two cents here. I was in Rockford when this part was added and...actually I agreed with Hrothgar. However after seeing this part repeated a few times I realized why it is there. Here goes, the begining of Ave represents the growing love between Faust and Margarite, hence no drums. As this love develops good ol' Satan begins to corrupt Margarite... enter the demon dudes and drum line from the back of the field. As the love grows so does the corruption, represnted in the drum/demon pod coming to the front of the field and the drum parts reflect the Devil's presence and evil deeds. When the drum/demon pod move to the front sideline and stop playing we think all is well for the loving couple...until the battle begins. Now, my interpretation may not be 100% acurate, but take look at ifrom this angle and see if it make more sense.

The drum line playing during Ave Maria fits perfectly into the story line of the show. Ave Maria represents the portion of the story where Faust is getting everything he wants and is happy. If you watch the drumline druing that section you will notice that the 6 guys in the guard are in the middle of the drumline doing frantic work. They are representing that even while Faust is getting all the earthly possessions he wants the devil is still there waiting. It is a very integral part of the story PR is telling.

As the love grows so does the corruption, represnted in the drum/demon pod coming to the front of the field and the drum parts reflect the Devil's presence and evil deeds.

Are you ..... saying ..... that ..... drummers are .....

Nevermind. Hard to argue. ^0^

My God !! You just dont stop ! He is a KID !!! You are an adult, a teacher as a matter of fact. Lead by example. WHats with you ???

~G~

Yes, I am a teacher. . .which is why I did not launch into some tirade on him (hint hint).

Being a teenager (not a kid) should not excuse anyone from their actions. It is how you learn.

I am betting if you two were not in agreement on a lot of things, you would have laid into him worse than anyone.

Edited by TXMystreaux

The drum line playing during Ave Maria fits perfectly into the story line of the show. Ave Maria represents the portion of the story where Faust is getting everything he wants and is happy. If you watch the drumline druing that section you will notice that the 6 guys in the guard are in the middle of the drumline doing frantic work. They are representing that even while Faust is getting all the earthly possessions he wants the devil is still there waiting. It is a very integral part of the story PR is telling.

I'm just saying, the music is more important than the story they were trying to tell. Should they really detract significantly from the music and compromise it just to add a little more to the story? I understood the story just fine without the drumline playing in the ballad. Interesting to hear about why they added it, though.

Yes, I am a teacher. . .which is why I did not launch into some tirade on him (hint hint).

Being a teenager (not a kid) should not excuse anyone from their actions. It is how you learn.

I am betting if you two were not in agreement on a lot of things, you would have laid into him worse than anyone.

SO - how about that Phantom Regiment????

SO - how about that Phantom Regiment????

what about them?

oh, that's right... this thread is about Phantom... not The Cadets.

~>conner

I'm just saying, the music is more important than the story they were trying to tell. Should they really detract significantly from the music and compromise it just to add a little more to the story? I understood the story just fine without the drumline playing in the ballad. Interesting to hear about why they added it, though.

Hroth man, I know people are on your case and all that and I don't come here to do that, although, I definately disagree with most of your opinions. :P But I am just saying that is definately harder, at least for me, to listen to someone's opinion that has never been out there in the daily struggles of corps. As explained, the drumming addition made complete sense and truly added to the show, IMO. I truly believe if you were on the field with any corps, some of your views would change as you were put through the days and truly put in the middle of drum corps, instead of just being a great fan on the outside of it. I take nothing away from you, because you're a true drum corps fanatic it seems and at pretty young age. That's a cool thing. But I truly hope you can spend even one season on a field for a summer, and would love to see if your world has shifted at all. Maybe it wouldnt, but I really think it would.