The drumline playing in Phantom's ballad has got to go

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I get the impression that Hrothgar doesn't like anything. What a bitter, unpleasant person.

Yikes, fellas. Poor guy's only 17. Cut him some slack.

generally speaking I don't like to talk about other corps but in this case I'll give credit where credit is due...

I saw Phantom in Battle Creek this past weekend, and I will say that parts of their show are amazing. Are there things that need to be tightened down a bit? ...of course, there's still a lot of time. And as I witnessed last year as they started beating us, then the blue Devils Phantom has the ability to crank out an amazing show, and keep getting better and better.

I loved their Ballad, the drums added color, and texture.

I still liked the Scouts more. B)

It seems like Hrothgar is taking the place of Phantom007 as king of the negative nancies on DCP... Phantom can do no wrong this year musically, and drums sound good. Their show is money.

If you want brass only, they'll probably have a recording of of Ave on the season review corps DVD.

And if they don't, just wait till next season- they'll probably do it in a victory concert.

Ave Maria was perfect...until they added the stupid drumline in! Am I the only one who is confused here? It just doesn't make any sense. It's so distracting and it takes so much away from the flow and lushness of the ballad. If you have something good, why would you ever even think of changing it to make it worse (which is clearly what happened in this case)?

:(

I'll let Rennick know..I'm sure he'll get right on it.

Yet their score has jumped pretty significantly. Hmmmmm.

Right, because that has everything do to with how enjoyable a show is.

I'm starting to guess that you don't even like drum corps at all. Everything seems to be bad for you. PLEASE march a year somewhere, and I guarentee that your opinions will change.

Yes, I hate drum corps. That's why I spent $500 on it this year to go to shows and it's why I'll sit in front of the computer on a Saturday night to watch a small, low-quality stream of a show somewhere for four hours, why I've listened to and watched about 100 shows on a daily basis to the point of memorizing them. I'm sure marching a season will make me want characters blabbering throughout every show and for the drumline to throw it down during every ballad.

HRoth strikes again.

Right, because expressing my opinion about the instrumentation during a section of Phantom's show is causing so much distress on this message board.

OK, I get the impression that Hrothgar doesn't like anything. What a bitter, unpleasant person.

Exactly. Which is why I reviewed Phantom Regiment's show as such:

"Performance: Yup. This is drum corps, and who better than Phantom Regiment to show it off? From beginning to end they were on fire: their sound is “almost” there and blends great, just a great ensemble all around. Drumline is the real deal as well. Both the technical and lyrical passages were played with great proficiency, and marching was top-notched. Phantom reminded me why I love drum corps.

Design: Perfect. There, I said it. This show is designed perfectly from beginning to end. The theme is conveyed immaculately, with no need for narration or invasive props, just good old guard acting that we’ve come to know and love. Phantom tells a story through their music, a moving, emotional, heart-wrenching story. The music chosen for this story probably couldn’t have been better. The opener starts out jarring and chaotic and transforms into a huge, awe-inspiring monster. After the very effective pit interlude this piece just keeps going and going until it’s abrupt finish. Great source music, great arrangement. The ballad is beautiful and poignant, and the added baritones are a nice bonus. Incredibly melodic and lush…by far the best ballad of the night. Musical ideas are born and come to fruition, and the entire ballad is just really well done. The Corigliano is just amazing, I love all the licks and it fits incredibly well into the show, and the members are selling it. Like the rest of the show, visual design was incredible. And now the best production on the field tonight: Phantom’s closer. This. Piece. Is. Amazing. Beautiful, lush, melodic chorales progress and progress, and when the baris and mellos hit their climbing fanfares and I was grinning from ear to ear. This show brought out emotions in me never felt before. I was on the edge my seat as the corps faced backfield…Faust was being saved, good was conquering evil…I waited in anticipation as the pit played their segment, just waiting…and then it happened. Like magic, the corps turned around and launched into a final push unlike anything I’ve heard before…what was going on on the field was simply beautiful. Glorious. Amazing. Awe-inspiring. Emotional. And as I was enveloped in this huge sound, I looked at the snareline crabbing across the field and that look in their eyes, and I just lost it. I completely lost it, and started crying tears of joy. This. Is. Drum. Corps. This is why I’m a fan, why I get on DCP and argue my point to no end…it’s shows like these that I want to see for the rest of my life. The corps continued and brought the Faust motif back as a reminder and finished the show with glorious chords. I stood up 10 seconds before the end and started clapping, and only after the corps was completely off the field did I sit down…and wipe my tears."

Yup, I hated it.

It seems like Hrothgar is taking the place of Phantom007 as king of the negative nancies on DCP... Phantom can do no wrong this year musically, and drums sound good. Their show is money.

Funny how last year I was considered a "borg" who supported a corps no matter what they did. They can "do no wrong"? It's just upsetting to me when you have a product, then change it to make it WORSE, because the original product that was better will never be seen again. It defies all logic.

I'll let Rennick know..I'm sure he'll get right on it.

In an ideal world, show designers would use fan input to improve the design of their shows, but no, that would prevent the designers' "vision" from being put on the field! I'm a firm believer that how good a show is proportional to audience reaction. If you want your show to be the best it can be (and why wouldn't you?), do whatever you can to have the entire audience screaming and on their feet well before the end of the show.

This is really disheartening. I bring up a simple point about instrumentation hoping ot have a serious discussion, and I'm labeled as someone who "hates drum corps" and "an unpleasant person who does't like anything at all."

Edited by Hrothgar15

This is really disheartening. I bring up a simple point about instrumentation hoping ot have a serious discussion, and I'm labeled as someone who "hates drum corps" and "an unpleasant person who does't like anything at all."

It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

It's all just a little bit of history repeating.
  1. calm down
  2. realize not everyone dislikes the new part
  3. realize it might be better for the corps to do this
  4. realize some ppl want the corps to win at all costs, even if it means drumming during Ave
  5. repeat step 1

Edited by Phantom&Phitch