Looking for a corp

If you're a percussionist in High School, I wouldn't even worry about a Division I corps yet. Plenty of time for that later. I would go to a good local DII/DIII corps and concentrate on getting my foot in the door. If you can read music that's even better. Believe it or not, a lot of drummers (good one's) first entering DC aren't that good at it. When I began marching, snare used to be the most difficult instument to play. I don't think that's true anymore because the the instructors have made every instrument difficult to play. (Guard is no bowl of blueberries either). I really can't tell you how to prepare for a snare auditon because there's so many different training methods. I can only tell you about the way I was taught. Plan on 3 hours a day. 2 1/2 on technique and the final 30 minutes on strength. The latter should be brutal. A long double roll as fast as you can play it, for as long as you can play it, until your arms are about to fall off. Force yourself to increase the time of the roll by 10 seconds every day. This has NOTHING to do with speed! It can sound as ratty as you want. The objective is to develop power in the fingers, wrists and forearms (believe me you'll need it). If you can develop the strength, you'll notice that the cleanliness of your rolls and other rudiments will become cleaner as you make them faster. But DON'T FORGET YOUR TECHNIQUE! Another trick is to carry around two tennis balls and sqeeze them all the time. Another thing to be prepared for, is that even if you qualify for a snare line, they might need "someone" else on "something" else, and you still might wind up in the tenor or Bass line, but that shouldn't matter because you'll be IN. That's the most important thing.

Good decision,

Good Luck!

Thanks, yeh I was not looking for a Division I corps, definatly not looking for that. While that would be great and all, I understand that I have no chance of being a part of that, not now at least.

And, I'm gonna go out for snare, but if I end up playing tenors and bass I'll be happy as well.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, yeh I was not looking for a Division I corps, definatly not looking for that. While that would be great and all, I understand that I have no chance of being a part of that, not now at least.

And, I'm gonna go out for snare, but if I end up playing tenors and bass I'll be happy as well.

If you stay with it, you'll make it. Always remember that everyone in Drum Corps - no matter who they are - what they do - how good they are - or what corps they're in - all started the same way you did. Go for it!

Go to Jersey Surf. And stay there. You'll love it. You won't want to leave. Nothing against any other local Div II/III corps, of course, but I always enjoy what Surf puts on the field.

Also -- and maybe this is just me -- Div II/III is more than a stepping stone to Div I. Whatever corps you march, take a good look around at all they have to offer before dismissing them as an unofficial feeder for someone bigger.

Regardless... march somewhere.

Go to Jersey Surf. And stay there. You'll love it. You won't want to leave. Nothing against any other local Div II/III corps, of course, but I always enjoy what Surf puts on the field.

Also -- and maybe this is just me -- Div II/III is more than a stepping stone to Div I. Whatever corps you march, take a good look around at all they have to offer before dismissing them as an unofficial feeder for someone bigger.

Regardless... march somewhere.

Another excellent point. A lot of kids find their "comfort zone" in D-II/III and don't WANT to leave. They like the corps, instructors and location. Many of them qualify for D-I but choose to stay where they are until they age out. I've also seen some who could hold their own against any D-I corps except for size. If it were scaled down to say 75 members, I'll bet that some of the top D-II corps could give some D-I's a run for their money.

Alright, thanks guys.

Took a look at the websites for all three corps (Surf, Raiders, Spirit) in an attempt to find out about tryout information. None of them had this sort of stuff posted. Well, they did, but it was all last years information/material and did not have updated dates for the 2007 season.

Should I email a director or somone of importance listed on site for that information, or am I just jumping the gun and will that information be posted shortly?

Should I email a director or somone of importance listed on site for that information, or am I just jumping the gun and will that information be posted shortly?

No harm in sending an email, but you have to understand they're likely to be focussed on this season right now and may not get back to you for a while. If you don't hear from them by Finals, I'd wait a couple weeks and send a second email -- and keep watching their websites. They're not likely to have camps or auditions until late Autumn.

Alright. I wasn't sure when additions would be, for all I know they could be coming around in September already. But, I see I've still got some time.

Well, auditions are first; additions come later.

I don't know what things are like on the Atlantic Seaboard, but on the West Coast things don't get going until Thanksgiving Weekend. SCV has their first camp that weekend; I think BD does, too. PC and Esperanza start a bit later, IIRC. I'd be surprised if any corps in the country started back up again in September.

But anyway, yes, email/call/whatever, stick with it, and good luck.

Well, auditions are first; additions come later.

I don't know what things are like on the Atlantic Seaboard, but on the West Coast things don't get going until Thanksgiving Weekend. SCV has their first camp that weekend; I think BD does, too. PC and Esperanza start a bit later, IIRC. I'd be surprised if any corps in the country started back up again in September.

But anyway, yes, email/call/whatever, stick with it, and good luck.

Meh, spelling....

Alright, thanks guys.

Took a look at the websites for all three corps (Surf, Raiders, Spirit) in an attempt to find out about tryout information. None of them had this sort of stuff posted. Well, they did, but it was all last years information/material and did not have updated dates for the 2007 season.

My advice? Email them NOW! ALL of them. Ask any questions you may have about the corps and let them know what your intentions are. Give them your personal history (age, location, musical background, school, band director, etc.) Let them know that you're interested. They're not going to contact you - you have to contact THEM. That's what gets the ball rolling. You may be surprised at the information that you recieve in return. In short, just tell them pretty much what you told us. They won't bite your head off, so you have nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is that your message sits in somebody's mailbox for a week. Better to get started now. Fall and winter camps will be here sooner than we think.