Looking for a corp

Hey all. I'm a new member, ect, ect. I'm a junior at North Hunterdon High School (which is located in Clinton, New Jersey) and am playing snare drum for my second year. But, as I'm sure many drummers have felt at one time or another, they love being a part of the band, but don't find enough challange and enough skill in high school.

I'm not the most amazing drummer, but I aint bad. I guess having to do a "swing" show this year kind of put me over the edge. When you can sight read the music, you know that's bad.

I decided I'd like to join a drum corp in order to best settle those complaints. However, I'm sort of lost in a sea of information. Could any of you let me know about any drum corps located near (within an hour or so driving distance) Clinton, New Jersey.

Thanks a bunch.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirit of Newark (division 3)

Raiders (division 3)

Jersey Surf (division 2)

Just a warning, practice before these audition camps. Snare is not easy to get into for Raiders or Jersey Surf.

Spirit of Newark (division 3)

Raiders (division 3)

Jersey Surf (division 2)

Just a warning, practice before these audition camps. Snare is not easy to get into for Raiders or Jersey Surf.

Well, yeh after playing in the high school marching band I realize snare isn't easy to get. And, so I'll definatly put in some practice. Took a look at the raiders and jersey surf audition materials a while ago, and if I remember correct, it wasn't too difficult, but I'm sure they're gonna want lightning speed and precision out of me.

Any word on how these corps perform and which will be most/least competitive, ect?

Don't let audition materials fool you, they are usually just the basics. You won't need lightning speed, just good technique and a good attitude. Most corps have lots of kids trying out for snare. DIV 2/3 are no different. You might see as many as 50 kids trying out for 5-8 spots, and most of them are decent players.

The key is to keep coming back to camps, don't miss practice and be willing to keep working. All three corps mentioned are worth marching with, as all three have talented drummers and good staffs. Good luck.

You also should seriously consider trying out on something other than snare (or in addition to). Bass drum is a good example. Bass parts in most corps are tougher than most band's snare parts.

Be flexible, and let the corps know you're willing to be flexible.

What about corps in/around Allentown, PA? I know that's where they hold the DCI Classics, so there are probably some smaller corps around Allentown, right?

Well there's this one group called The Cadets or somethin' like that pretty close to Allentown. I hear they're alright. :P

Yeh, I figure I'll go out for both snare and bass.

Snare is a real competitive part, and so I realize it's foolish to only go in trying to get on snare.

Sure- but don't sell yourself short. You gotta walk into the audition like you're the best snare player they're gonna hear all day. (Whether that's true or not :) )

Hey all. I'm a new member, ect, ect. I'm a junior at North Hunterdon High School (which is located in Clinton, New Jersey) and am playing snare drum for my second year. But, as I'm sure many drummers have felt at one time or another, they love being a part of the band, but don't find enough challange and enough skill in high school.

I'm not the most amazing drummer, but I aint bad. I guess having to do a "swing" show this year kind of put me over the edge. When you can sight read the music, you know that's bad.

I decided I'd like to join a drum corp in order to best settle those complaints. However, I'm sort of lost in a sea of information. Could any of you let me know about any drum corps located near (within an hour or so driving distance) Clinton, New Jersey.

Thanks a bunch.

If you're a percussionist in High School, I wouldn't even worry about a Division I corps yet. Plenty of time for that later. I would go to a good local DII/DIII corps and concentrate on getting my foot in the door. If you can read music that's even better. Believe it or not, a lot of drummers (good one's) first entering DC aren't that good at it. When I began marching, snare used to be the most difficult instument to play. I don't think that's true anymore because the the instructors have made every instrument difficult to play. (Guard is no bowl of blueberries either). I really can't tell you how to prepare for a snare auditon because there's so many different training methods. I can only tell you about the way I was taught. Plan on 3 hours a day. 2 1/2 on technique and the final 30 minutes on strength. The latter should be brutal. A long double roll as fast as you can play it, for as long as you can play it, until your arms are about to fall off. Force yourself to increase the time of the roll by 10 seconds every day. This has NOTHING to do with speed! It can sound as ratty as you want. The objective is to develop power in the fingers, wrists and forearms (believe me you'll need it). If you can develop the strength, you'll notice that the cleanliness of your rolls and other rudiments will become cleaner as you make them faster. But DON'T FORGET YOUR TECHNIQUE! Another trick is to carry around two tennis balls and sqeeze them all the time. Another thing to be prepared for, is that even if you qualify for a snare line, they might need "someone" else on "something" else, and you still might wind up in the tenor or Bass line, but that shouldn't matter because you'll be IN. That's the most important thing.

Good decision,

Good Luck!