All-time Finals placements

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a nice exercise and all. But it loses something when only the DCI years are factored in, as if there were no Junior Drum Corps Competitions prior to DCI. The Troopers, Cavies, Boston, Cadets, Madison, and others ( and Kilties, Blessed Sac, etc would have to be included ) would have higher rankings if we somehow could factor in years before DCI. But since it's just the DCI years, it fills that need. And to be fair, it would be hard to assign points in the pre DCI years with contesting ' championships " too.

You're right, it would be nice to find a way to factor in all the pre-DCI years. But, as you said, with no "unified" championship, it would be nearly impossible to find a fair way of doing this. Besides, most all of the pre-DCI era corps are gone now anyway, and those that do remain are fairly well represented in this list. Even if you took into account the pre-DCI years, I think you would still find mostly the same corps at the top, with Cavies' & Cadets' prior championships being most notable & making the most impact on placement.

Yes, if you factored in pre-DCI, then your top 2 would likely be Cadets and Cavaliers, but to do that you also have to look at far more drum corps. Corps Blessed Sacrament, St. Joes, and more.

Just figure in the VFW championships and leave the AL alone. Everyone knows which was the real nationals :P

Edited by mobrien

i know it would be time consuming for someone, but try calculating this once again, only this time award negative points, for finishing outside of the top 12. (ex. -1 for 13th place, -2 for 14th place, -3 for 15th place, and so on) i believe some of the placements will change due to some off years for certain corps. (the blue devils finished in 24th place in 1973; and the cadets had a 19th, 17th, 16th, and a couple of 14th place finishes in the 70s; it took the cavaliers 10 years or so to crack into the top 5; SCV has finished 6th or lower only 6 times since 1972) I would assume these new numbers would allow BD to remain in the lead, but the cavies close in on cadets, and SCV gets are large push with all their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ,and having never placed worse that 8th(happened last year only). only had some time to do a little research...maybe someone can finish this for me...also breaking it down by decades...if u include BDs 24th place finish in 73, u would have to say, averaging the finishes, the 70s belonged to SCV, the 80s to the Cadets, the 90s, to BD, and so far after the new millenium, The Cavaliers seem to be leading the way....how interesting......

Great job! Thanks for all the hard work. As the person who suggested it (and was too lazy to do it myself), I only included the DCI years because of the way drum corps was run pre-1972.

Tours were rare, and the corps that didn't get around because of finances would not show up on the list, therefore giving the corps with bucks an advantage. (Kind of like today, but I digress).

I DO like the idea of negative points for off-years. I like BETTER the idea of expanding it to include the top 25 (when applicable) and giving 1 point for 25th, all the way up to 25 points for first. Everybody needs to re-build now and then, or finished 13-15 for a number of years before finally breaking into finals.

Now THAT would take some serious work!!

Anyone up to figuring out the all time top 25????

Glad my little idea sparked so much enthusiasm. You're great! :rock:

Surprise! Surprise! After a couple hours of calculations...here are the scores based on what I feel is true consistency dating back to 1972. 25 pts went to a first place finish, and 1 point to a 25th place finish...everything else is in between, u can figure it out. How many of you are surprised? look how close 2-4 is and 5-6. Only possible changes this year is PR jumping over Cadets, but I don't think it will happen because honestly I don't see either PR winning or Cadets finishing lower than 5th. Devils and Cavies will move closer to Vanguard, but SCV's lead is so large it could take years for them to drop out of first...

1. Santa Clara- 768

2. Blue Devils- 677

3. Cavaliers-667

4. Madison-657

5. Cadets-616

6. PR-612

You rock for putting that together. I love random stuff like this. Thanks!

Surprise! Surprise! After a couple hours of calculations...here are the scores based on what I feel is true consistency dating back to 1972. 25 pts went to a first place finish, and 1 point to a 25th place finish...everything else is in between, u can figure it out. How many of you are surprised? look how close 2-4 is and 5-6. Only possible changes this year is PR jumping over Cadets, but I don't think it will happen because honestly I don't see either PR winning or Cadets finishing lower than 5th. Devils and Cavies will move closer to Vanguard, but SCV's lead is so large it could take years for them to drop out of first...

1. Santa Clara- 768

2. Blue Devils- 677

3. Cavaliers-667

4. Madison-657

5. Cadets-616

6. PR-612

you know the cavies fans will want you to make a list that goes back to the days of the dinosaurs so theyll be leading the pack by at least 500 lol

interesting list though.. thanks!