Scythian Suite

Mmmm Nevsky.... Ivan.... Romeo & Juliet....Scythian... Kije... Oranges...

Me likie Prokofiev

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "Testimony" has be pretty much discredited now hasn't it? In the recent biography of Shostakovitch that I read in preparation for a gala performance of Shotakovitch music conducted by his dear friend Rostropovich, the author essentially set forth all of the works that had discredited the book. I still have "Testimony" and will likely read it just to see how different the interpretations can be, but I really did enjoy the book that I did read. Unfortunately, I don't remember the title right now.

And BTW, you aren't the only dork, when I was in college I believe that I usurped some classic drum corps show titles into the titles of some of my papers, including my study of Shakespeare's "Antony & Cleopatra" entitled "Dreams of Desire". I'm sure some of you recall that title. But it really worked well with the actual content of the paper, so why should I have to think up a title all on my own?

Right...I'm not vouching for the credibility of Testimony, but what I was interested in was the inspiration for the Phantom DSCH shows. And it wasn't my ONLY source, I had many online sources and a couple other books. Testimony is a riveting read, true or not, and it sure made my paper interesting. Heck, my English teacher doesn't know better and if she did, she wouldn't care as long as my paper was good. One of the great mysteries of orchestral music isn't it?

One of DSCH's quotes from Testimony (alleged :) ) was about how if you listened to the music, you would understand what he was trying to say. I think his huge background in film scoring gave DSCH the ability to make music very vivid and visual, and listening to the end of the Fifth- it sure sounds like one of the most despairing pieces of music when you listen to it at a slower tempo. I checked out a recording with Neeme Jarvi as the conductor, and felt like crying at the end where it goes into "major." Same with the Seventh, but less pronounced. But play them fast, and at the end of a drum corps show (especially with a title like "Victory and Celebration") and it's inspiring. Not sure where I'm going with this, but wow, the sheer depth of DSCH's music utterly amazes me. In fact, as much as I love blasting Phantom Regiment shows on my stereo, the "Leningrad" is one piece of music I like better in the concert hall than on the football field. Regardless of how you take the meaning, it's an absolutely amazing piece of music.

Now the Fifth...that'll always be "Defiant Heart" to me... :)

Oh, and let me know what that book was that you read...I might read it too... :)

Edited by Wild Nights

I think his huge background in film scoring gave DSCH the ability to make music very vivid and visual, and listening to the end of the Fifth- it sure sounds like one of the most despairing pieces of music when you listen to it at a slower tempo. I checked out a recording with Neeme Jarvi as the conductor, and felt like crying at the end where it goes into "major." Same with the Seventh, but less pronounced. But play them fast, and at the end of a drum corps show (especially with a title like "Victory and Celebration") and it's inspiring.

Interesting that you should mention tempo. I've heard a handful of different recordings of the last movement of the Fifth, and the one that blows me away is one conducted by Bernstein -- it flies! I wouldn't be surprised if some violinists lost limbs trying to keep up with the insane tempo. Can't recall the year and group (pretty sure it was New York Philharmonic; I'd have to check). You're right; the quicker tempo really makes it more exciting.

Oh, and speaking of being a dork -- here's how big a dork I am: The first time I ever heard "Scythian Suite" was "The Enemy God...." on the "Works Vol. I" album by Emerson, Lake & Palmer!