Bluecoats' Pennies

Funny that you should mention the pennies... I was just thinking about them while I was out at the bars tonight and how I should wear them in support of Blooo at Madison this year. I think they're at my parents house in Michigan hanging on my '94 brass "rookie of the year" trophy. The funny thing is that everything is still sitting in the exact same place that I left it 12 years ago!

Edited by midwesternlull

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - where are those WISE guys? (Jay & Jeff?)

Use to chat with them online back in the olden

days of alt.drumcorps.

MAV

I'm not sure how current this info is but I think Jeff is in Charlotte NC and I think Jay is in the Hartville OH area. The 2 of them have vanished off the face of the drum corps Earth. But if anyone sees or hears from them please tell them to get to the Alumni BlueBQ August 3 in Allentown!

Yes Sly was the driving force behind the pennies when it finally took hold in the summer of '92. But the year before the drum major Chip Kolesar along with a few others like Jeff Wise were the actual masterminds behind the entire idea.

Jeff Wise. Man, would I love to get back in touch with him. It's been a long time. I probably would not have marched at all without him convincing me to come out for Spirit in 93.

hey.. for anyone lobbying to get your pennies after you marched. i was a 90 & 91 bari and I'd also wear them with pride!!! BTW, Jeff Wise does contribute to the party every once in a while you just have to catch him on a good day. I think I spoke to him about 4 months ago.

hey.. for anyone lobbying to get your pennies after you marched. i was a 90 & 91 bari and I'd also wear them with pride!!! BTW, Jeff Wise does contribute to the party every once in a while you just have to catch him on a good day. I think I spoke to him about 4 months ago.

Hey Paco shouldn't you be working instead of posting on here lol. I'd trade a couple extra tickets I have in section E row 20 for finals to get my pennies. Maybe we should bring that up at the next alumni meeting. Next time you talk ot Jeff tell him to get back in touch.

To remind you how much money you have left after marching corps :P

Maybe somebody can organize a LOT of pennies to be made and you guys could pick them up at the souvie stand or order them online. You'd have to figure out a way to verify you were in the corps that year of course.

I sure you didn't mean to slam anyone, but do you realize that you wouldn't have had a corps to march in if it wasn't for these guys and a few others who weathered the black days of the 1983 season. On the other hand, there would need to be a way to verify an alum marched the years they claim. To this end Kenny is / was working on a master roster and I'm sure he would appreciate any alumni updating the records.

Now off my soapbox and back to the amazing season already in progress!

Since Ralph McCauley will be on tour with the corps for a while it would be a great gesture of appreciation if someone form the corps, be it the alumni, the staff, or anyone still connected to the organization, would present him with his own set of 34 pennies. How’s that for a run on sentence? Granted rounding up pennies dating back to 1972 might be tough but I’m sure could be done rather quickly.

Wow. You have a better memory than I do - and you weren't even there! :P

But now that you mention it, I do recall it being in Normal.

Bart,

BlooContra got his info from me at last year's Normal, IL show. We showed them the spot where the tradition began. Pretty cool.

And yes Sly was the facilitator for that, though a fair few folks helped get the idea launched.