Could there be drum corps without bands

No...certainly not drum corps as we have known it for the past couple of decades. Not only would the impact be felt on the field (in numbers and quality), but it would certainly be felt in the stands. The crowds and number of shows would be MUCH smaller.

I have never understood the "we are so much better than you" attitude I have observed and certainly heard expressed by some (a few) drum corps folks towards the band world. We have all read posts right here on

DCP knocking or making fun of the "bandos". Weren't 99.9% of drum corps members "bandos"? Aren't most of the instructors and designers in drum corps really dependent on the band world for their

"real jobs"? Aren't most of the shows around the country sponsored by bands? Aren't most of the corps housed at schools as guests of the bands? Aren't most corps off season rehearsals done at schools as guests of the bands? Aren't most of the show tickets and souvies purchased by "bandos"? Do you think FJM, Pearl, Yamaha, Dynasty, and etc. would be providing assistance to drum corps if they did not think it would help them sell things to the bands?

Could there be drum corps without bands? I don't think so.

Could there be bands without drum corps? Without question.

But the summers sure would not be as much fun.

I actually know kids in high school who think they are too good for corps, and corps is filled with mediocre musicians!! :P

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago drum corps WAS the musical education system of middle class America. If you wanted to learn an intrustment you joined a drum corps. Some schools did trwch music but not like drum corps.

But now a days school equal or surpass what is taught by drum corps. Only D3-2 corps "teach" music today. By teach I mean you walk in and learn how to play. D1's are turning away high school seniors and college music majors. The members come into the corps with the needed skills and 95% of those skills were taught in high school band.

So my question is in todays world could drum corps exist without bands. My answer is no, just take a look at whats happening in Canada.

And if thats the case and most of us came from HS bands why the, for a better word, hatred for the band systems.

I was about to say something about in the pre-DCI days, drum corps filled the spot of many band programs that were not that strong. Many of the "old timers" were literally pulled of the streets and taught brass and percussion. Since you prefised this topic with "today's world", then the answer would be no, especially, I mean especially for D1 corps. They are no longer into teaching from square one. The expect you to know beyond the basics. I mean, how many kids in the D1 corps can seriously say they knew absolutely nothing about the instrument they are playing with and the corps taught them. Now the D2/3 corps would spend the time to teach.

Bands potty train them.......Drum Corps gets them off the toilet! :)

I guess the main reason for my question was that many schools are cutting out the music department. It may happen here in Delaware because of a budget shortfall.

It may not effect Corps in the near future but it happened quite quickley in Canada. It would be a casade effect from high schools to colleges to drum corps.

...(preaching to the choir)...

cutting music programs out of junior/high school education is such a horrible idea. There would be less impact on the education system to cut sports programs and coaches salries. I am a sports fan, big time. But it is ridiculous that coaches earn more than english teachers. Is it any wonder that pro ball players get there ugly faces on TV, are asked a question, and then mumble some answer with poor diction, in broken english into a national microphone. Musicians are better students (and they'll never embarrass you on nat'l TV). If you're in a position to fight for music in schools with the board of education...do it!

Edited by paultxsa

cutting music programs out of junior/high school education is such a horrible idea. There would be less impact on the education system to cut sports programs and coaches salries. I am a sports fan, big time. But it is ridiculous that coaches earn more than english teachers. Is it any wonder that pro ball players get there ugly faces on TV, are asked a question, and then mumble some answer with poor diction, in broken english into a national microphone. Musicians are better students (and they'll never embarrass you on nat'l TV). If you're in a position to fight for music in schools with the board of education...do it!

I have to agree with you on that one mate. The music kids are getting screwed financially. Any time a school system is looking at budget cuts, the music program is the first thing they swing the axe at, yet they'll keep courses like underwater checkers and other such nonsense. That's where Drum Corps has an advantage. They're not reliant on a bean counter in City Hall or wherever to determine their future. It's always tough in Drum Corps to raise money, but when they get it, they GOT it. They don't have to worry about some moron on the BOE taking it away. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

This past season our marching band at my High school was cut. It was cut without us knowing at that. All it took to get it back was the entire band showing up without the school board knowing about it. Beat them at thier own game is what we thought. We got it back and got to compete most of the season. So Fight if your in the position to fight it is more than worth it.

This past season our marching band at my High school was cut. It was cut without us knowing at that. All it took to get it back was the entire band showing up without the school board knowing about it. Beat them at thier own game is what we thought. We got it back and got to compete most of the season. So Fight if your in the position to fight it is more than worth it.

Of course not all of us just sat there and took it. Some of us moved on to other bands. That would be me. I have to say it was the best decision i made. At the end of the season i became part of the history of MBDA and of maine. so if its in you its in you never let someone tell you you cant do what you love. Even if it means marching in 2 diffrent marching bands at the same time.

GOOD FOR YOU--I am glad the fight is working in some places! What band was that? I am in Maine too, my high school band was cut back in 93 (MtBlue High School) when I was an instructor. We tried HARD to keep it, but Farmington is a little back woods to see the importance of keeping a music program. One thing that always got me was question of success. We had WON in 90..then had a few leans years, so they cut us in 93. Can't we have some rebuilding time? On top of it they looked at the "number of kids in the program was shrinking". Yes that was true, we had gone from around 100 down to about 30, but which off those kids sat on the sidelines and were bench warmers like in basketball, football and other various sports that only play their "stars", NOT A ONE! you can pay for a program that directly touches 30+ kids lives or a program that touches about 15, but you get to hang a banner up in your gym, guess which one wins...

GOOD FOR YOU--I am glad the fight is working in some places! What band was that? I am in Maine too, my high school band was cut back in 93 (MtBlue High School) when I was an instructor. We tried HARD to keep it, but Farmington is a little back woods to see the importance of keeping a music program. One thing that always got me was question of success. We had WON in 90..then had a few leans years, so they cut us in 93. Can't we have some rebuilding time? On top of it they looked at the "number of kids in the program was shrinking". Yes that was true, we had gone from around 100 down to about 30, but which off those kids sat on the sidelines and were bench warmers like in basketball, football and other various sports that only play their "stars", NOT A ONE! you can pay for a program that directly touches 30+ kids lives or a program that touches about 15, but you get to hang a banner up in your gym, guess which one wins...

It was Lawrence High School. After a few bronze medal seasonss and a couple with no medal at all they cut us and did not inform the band. I then traveled down the highway and joined up with the Lewiston highschool Band. I was thier lone snare drummer, and because of this MBDA allowed me to stay and compete with both bands. I played bass guitar in the pit at lawrence, and marched in the drum line on snare at lewiston. It took alot of patience and maturity to do this and put up with the comments made from my school mates. But at the end of the season i had two medals around my neck and it was well worth my time.