when did it happen

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fans, not the corps, who take drum corps too seriously. RELAX, IT'S JUST DRUM CORPS!!! There are far more important things to worry about.

Some corps really DO think that way. You can usually find their names at the bottom of the scoreboard, and sometimes not there either because they went belly up. If you enter an EXibition - so what who cares, but if you enter a COMPetion you'd better be there to win! If you don't think you're #1 you never will be. There is no substitute for victory.

If you enter an EXibition - so what who cares, but if you enter a COMPetion you'd better be there to win! If you don't think you're #1 you never will be. There is no substitute for victory.

How about keeping a corps alive knowing #### well you'll get your brains kicked in on the sheets? Some of us put welfare of our corps (and drum corps in general) above our personal desires.

There is nothing worse than an defunct corps.

There is nothing worse than an defunct corps.

Tell it, brother.

I think there are different definitions of "competitive," though. Maybe not everyone goes out there thinking they can win it all, but maybe they want to beat a rival, or do better than they did last year, or better than they did yesterday. Competition against yourself is what it's all about -- pushing yourself to be the best you can be, even if that's not the best there is. And every corps in the history of the activity has been about that. I guarantee it. You think VK didn't work on marching and playing well? They spent more time on that than being funny. If they couldn't pull off the competitive elements, nobody would've been laughing, believe me.

Well, not in a good way, anyway.

I think there are different definitions of "competitive," though. Maybe not everyone goes out there thinking they can win it all, but maybe they want to beat a rival, or do better than they did last year, or better than they did yesterday. Competition against yourself is what it's all about -- pushing yourself to be the best you can be, even if that's not the best there is.

:ph34r: We started a last place streak from week before 1974 DCA until week before 1975 DCA when we beat two corps (both folded that year). How did our Bus Mang Larry Hershman keep it real during that mess.

#1 - "#### what the other corps are doing, just beat last weeks score".

#2 - "Of course the (big DCA) corps beat our ###. They've been around a lot longer than we have (translation: we had a lot of rookies). We're not going to beat them..... YET!!!"

Some corps really DO think that way. You can usually find their names at the bottom of the scoreboard, and sometimes not there either because they went belly up. If you enter an EXibition - so what who cares, but if you enter a COMPetion you'd better be there to win! If you don't think you're #1 you never will be. There is no substitute for victory.

Well...that's their loss. There is so much more to life than winning. Sure, I guess it would be nice to win a ring, but if you go into it just wanting to win, and take nothing else from the experience, then what's the point? How is that make you any better a person than when you went into it?

My only comment is that as a volleyball player who got very good at the sport during my youth, the better I got the less I played with the "rec" players. Why? Because playing recreational ball just wasn't fun to me. Good, hard, serious volleyball was where it was at for me.

At the higher levels of drum corps, it is no different. Anyone in the top 5 can "taste" the championship thus adds fuel to the inner fire of competition. And that's what the activity is, a competition. If it wasn't then take the judges away and have exhibition shows then see where the activity goes.

There are plenty of corps in Div. I, II and III that are there to perform, travel and gain inner strength as a unit. The upper echelons of the divisions have all this plus the thrill of competition added to it. That’s what did it for me when I marched.

"Survival of the fittest" - Charles Darwin

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" - Harry Truman

If a musical unit doesn't WANT to be competitive, that's fine. They can be a parade corps and march along side the bandos and girl scouts and follow (heaven forbid) the horses. The kids in BD may have been laughing themselves silly after they got beat by the Cavs last night, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT !

If a musical unit doesn't WANT to be competitive, that's fine. They can be a parade corps and march along side the bandos and girl scouts and follow (heaven forbid) the horses. The kids in BD may have been laughing themselves silly after they got beat by the Cavs last night, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT !

You make it seem like the only criteria for competition is 1st place. What an American, geez :P .

Do you think Pioneer expects to beat Blue Devils?

Do you think they aren't working as hard as they can anyway?

That is competition. That is the work ethic. That is what drum corps is about.

(I don't mean to pick on Pioneer -- they seem to be unfortunately synonymous with "a corps who almost always places in the 21-24 range" -- but I could just have easily have said Mandarins, Seattle Cascades, Spirit, Crossmen.... I was just going for maximum contrast.)

Don't tell me I wasn't competing when I got 14th, 10th, and 12th. I worked hard to get there. We all did.