Wisconsin State Journal Article

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/entertainm...352&ntpid=2

"Next week some 5,000 drum-and-bugle corps members will take a turn on the Camp Randall Stadium's field, competing in an activity that requires endurance, coordination and wildly perfect timing. The Drum Corps International (DCI) World Championships return to Madison for the seventh time in the group's 34-year history. " ...

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/entertainm...352&ntpid=2

"Next week some 5,000 drum-and-bugle corps members will take a turn on the Camp Randall Stadium's field, competing in an activity that requires endurance, coordination and wildly perfect timing. The Drum Corps International (DCI) World Championships return to Madison for the seventh time in the group's 34-year history. " ...

Excellent! Finally, a reporter gets it right.

Thanks for sharing. :)

... and wildly perfect timing. ....

I love it!!

what else does drum corps need besides "Wildly perfect timing"?

Ecstatically perfect focus

Explosively controlled discipline

Impeccably disordered creativity

Anything I missed? That's a great article and I hope DCI adds it to their marketing materials.

regards - Jim

Edited by Jim Alberty

I love it!!

what else does drum corps need besides "Wildly perfect timing"?

I was also thinking that was a good characterization of DC, especially for a general public article. In my experience, when "non-DC" types look closely at a DC performance, they are amazed that such forms can be marched together, so many snare drummers can play so fast together, and such high rifle tosses can caught and come down perfectly together.

I was also thinking that was a good characterization of DC, especially for a general public article. In my experience, when "non-DC" types look closely at a DC performance, they are amazed that such forms can be marched together, so many snare drummers can play so fast together, and such high rifle tosses can caught and come down perfectly together.

I agree - I think that's why DC is such a wonderful activity - the average person rarely has something in their lives that conciously has such a clear focus - you set a goal, a really tough goal and you knock yourself out every way you can to accomplish it - it all happens because the kids choose to do the work and believe that they can get there - or have faith they can get there, even if they don't believe it until they get it done.

If you think about it, most of life works that way - but in drum corps we bring it to the surface and celebrate it and acknowledge that anyone can do it - if you have the "gotta wanna" - and if you're a little bit nuts.

But that's a good thing.

regards - Jim

Thank you. That made my day. :)