Naperville, IL August 6th

Hey, I was wondering, from those that were at Naperville last night, if anyone had any reviews or thoughts. This was my first show since June so yeah, I will post some of my amatuer opinions, feel free to post yours.

I didnt see everyone, so I will comment on those I did see.

Magic--great drumline in the lot--not the best feet, playing quality went down on the field. Cool show--I dont know what else to say, I was glued to the battery.

Colts--Guard and Visual are great, far better than I even hoped for them to get. Battery has made a lot of improvements in the past couple weeks (I've been in contact with some friends in the line), a lot of music changes in the battery--although I think it may be too late to save their perc scores--we'll see though. Brass was much more refined, they did have some attack/release issues to work out, but overall intonation and tone were great in comparison to my last read and any Colts year since 99. Im glad their score went up, but personally I think an 85 would have been justified--dont count them out just yet, at the very least they're giving it their all until the end.

Cadets--Opening is great through the first hit and little way into white rabbit, then I was bored for about 2 minutes--then the perc feature, way more tics than I expected out of the Cadets--crowd loved it though. Ballad was beautiful, closer had a lot of energy, drill was clean throughout. I will say, the guard was strong, but they never forced me to pay attention to them. All in all, I like the show a lot--aside from my 2 minute nap--not the same caliber of performance as last year, but still great performers doing well with a very challenging show.

Phantom--love the show both visually and musically there were some tone quality issues here and there out of the brass. Percussion is incredible, extremely difficult book for the battery being executed at a near flawless level, pit has an amazing sound lots of great effects as well (I think they'll take perc at finals). Crowd loved their show, lots of energy--they want to move up bad--it's easy to see that when they perform.

Cavaliers--I love this show. BUT I will say that the first 4ish minutes are so good and so packed with GE that the second half of the show--while great--seems less entertaining at first sight--the second half of the show is a multi-read show. Brass---amazing--thank god they finally learned LOUD--theyre no PR, but getting there. Mellophones--absolutely beautiful sound. Guard was great--very cavlalier design--great. Percussion--Im really glad Jim Casella is there, I love his style--this is not an OFF year for them, just a year of big changes--they've improved A LOT this summer--Id say a 4th place finish maybe 5th. Watch out for the next couple of years though.

Just my thoughts....yours?

PS where are the recaps?

good review...why'd you fall asleep in the cadets for two minutes...?!?!?! is that right before the tea party...yes the Guard uniforms do not make them all that noticeable but if you watch 'em they are simply the best guard out there...

good review...why'd you fall asleep in the cadets for two minutes...?!?!?! is that right before the tea party...yes the Guard uniforms do not make them all that noticeable but if you watch 'em they are simply the best guard out there...

To say the Cadets guard is the best out there might be a stretch. Blue Devils and Cavaliers both have guards to recon with.

That's a pretty grand statement to be making when there are many top guards out there. I think there are many others that also deserve credit for having fantastic guards this year. Have you watched any of the other guards from up top?

As for Cadets-

It's not just the uni's that make them less noticeable- their staging does nothing to show off the guard this year either.

It's a concentrated effort to find the Cadets guard and follow the guard this year, whereas other guards that have the same level (or higher) of demand and execution are better staged (Cavies, PR, BD, Bluecoats, SCV). Their "wow" moments aren't hidden- they are right there for the audience to appreciate and for the judges to notice.

So whether or Cadets are the best guard out there nearly becomes irrelevant when their uni's blend into the panels and aren't they staged in a position where they can truly show off their talents. IMO, this show hasn't done the Cadets guard justice at all- I hope they have better staging and aren't such a backdrop next year.