DCI is moving to Indy

Acoustics is, indeed, a science -- but not an exact one. A number of recently-constructed music venues have been built with the aid of the finest acoustical planning possible but have still turned out to be aurally disappointing. By way of example: several years ago Chicago's Orchestra Hall was redesigned to, among other things, improve the sound. Some of the most respected acousticians in the world worked on the project, the results of which are decidedly sub-par. Adjustments still continue to be made in an attempt to improve the quality of sound.

Precisely.

And don’t forget the stadium is being designed for football, not music. Ever go to a concert in a football stadium? How did the acoustic instruments sound?

Oops. Sorry. Forgot.

Maybe DCI was thinking ahead when they authorized amplification.

{Yes! Another thread turned into an anti-amp rant.}

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you willing to put money on that? :P I'm willing to bet that Pasadena draws more fans than Madison. Heck, I'd bet that Pasadena will be the best attended Finals in 20 years.

Just you wait. It's going to be HUGE.

How many people showed up at the Rose Bowl to see just 6 corps 2 years ago after championships?

I don't see a drop in attendance. There might be a drop in USUALS who go, but there are going to be plenty of NEWBIES who have never gone. Then there are those who are willing to trek to California just because they've never been here either.

Edited by Wildabeast

How many people showed up at the Rose Bowl to see just 6 corps 2 years ago after championships?

I don't see a drop in attendance. There might be a drop in USUALS who go, but there are going to be plenty of NEWBIES who have never gone. Then there are those who are willing to trek to California just because they've never been here either.

I'm going because my dad lives about half an hour from Pasadena, and with any luck he will buy my plane ticket. ^OO^

Not necessarily true.

I remember reading a BD members interview (they had a form they used and posted many that pre-season) on the DCI site in 04. He was so excited about the tour of champions becaus his family had only ever seen the corps in the early season, never the final product. They couldn't afford to fly wherever finals had been the previous years.

Not every family involved in drum has the same financial resources. Just paying the dues for their child (niece, nephew), may be all they can do. If finals are around the country it gives those families a better chance of seeing their loved one march the final product.

You may have misread my intent...please allow me to clarify. I meant that anyone from the west coast who flies year after year to DCI Worlds understands that any site is just an airport (or two...if you transfer) away. There are some people who live across the street who might not be able to afford going to the show because they can't afford the tickets.

Edited by Michael Boo

Sorry if this has been said but I briefly skimmed the other 34+ pages on this topic…

There should be a considerable savings that will be incurred by DCI locking up event space and room blocks. For those of you familiar with event planning you can imagine the comp. rooms and other benefits DCI will get from this. Usually rates for rooms are locked at a certain range. Food and use of resources are also factored in. I would think that the single site benefits would be passed on…you hope.

So, this is an opportunity for some savings for hopefully DCI and it’s member corps, fans and a benefit to Indianapolis.

bill

Not quite true. Indy is in the middle of many different killings under investigation. The mayor has called for additional police funding and police power after we have had 13 killings in one week. At least half of them were individual. That would be the reason the major Indy paper did not have but a two paragraph blurb about yesterday's announcment (although they did do the one the day before which started this topic). Why have a press conference and send reporters to cover it if all you get is ten seconds of Carolina Crown on the local news?

I was referring to the link that you had posted about the sniper from the Muncie area-he's locked up. IPD does need to deal with the East side violence quickly.

What's stranger to me than the Indy Star only having a small blurb today and the 2 or 3 minutes of footage of the announcement and Crown on the news last night is the fact that DCI hasn't posted the announcement on their website yet.

I guess we are just a niche activity and in the grand scheme of things to most people, it's not much bigger than GenCon being here this week or Promise Keepers booking the dome for an event.

Maybe it's cause they've got bigger fish to fry this weekend, but you're right, I would've expected an announcment on DCI.org by now.

Whoo hoo, just ready the news in the Indy Star!