Room for 2 DCI "Leagues"?

So in baseball, you have two leagues - each of which plays by slightly different rules. After reading Hops' ideas for changing DCI even more, here's a thought:

Allow each Div 1 corps to slect a "league" depending on the rules they like best. Those in favor of amps, prop people on the field, longer set up times, older members, less travel, etc etc. could be in the "National League". Those in favor of simply laying it all on the field with no excuses could be in the "American League". Every once in a while during the season the two leagues would meet in competition, but not ususally. There could even be an "All Star Show" where the best six corps from each league (as selected by fans!) compete on one night - the scores are accumulated, and the overall league with the most points wins the competition - and home field advantage at finals. (This time - it counts!) At finals, it's an all out battle. A mixed set of judges from both leagues takes the field, and whatever happens, happens.

No doubt a serious stretch here, but to keep changing the rules seems to me a recipe for losing fans over time. If they just kept the rules the same for 20 or 50 years, we might just be able to focus on what's great about this activity: the performers. I fear that every time something new is introduced, everybody thinks: "that's new = that's cool = that must be really good = I can do that = I can do that better than they did it = what were we talking about?"

My son aged out from SCV a couple years ago. I'm glad he was in the American League.

We already have two leagues: DCA and DCI. Granted, one is all-age while the other is not, but the styles are different enough that those who dislike DCI's direction have a good stable of corps that offer a more straightforward approach to drum corps, with its own unique style.

I proposed the same idea 6 months ago and was slaughtered. :P

I get the feeling he won't stop until DCI is an all-age BOA. DCI shouldn't break itself into two leagues to please Hopkins. He should pick up his toys and go start this rival association that has amps, singers, woodwinds, prop people, 140 members, and people of all age playing instruments. He can then explain how 25 and 30 year old adults are somehow fulfilling YEA's mission while playing to mostly empty stadiums on his two corps tour (Cadets and Crossmen).

Edited by Tekneek

Hoppy MUST BE STOPPED !!!!!........PERIOD!!!!!!