Was There a Worse Year for Entertaiment Value

I thought this year was much more entertaining than last year. Sorry to hurt anyones feelings! Compared to last year when I can't really remember too many shows (loved SCV and BD, both of which didn't score well but entertained, and Phantom which rocked and medaled!), this year I thought for the most part top 12 packed a a great deal of entertainment value. Along with Crossmens show, which I really enjoyed and wish had at least made finals.

I agree 100%

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me? I thought it was one of the best year ever and thats even from the bottom of the pack! Sometimes I wonder if it is the "newer" people being brought to drum corps that have an issue, or just the old people NOT wanting anyone new brought because they want everyone old school!

Once again - I agree. Every group in the top 12 had a great show. Things can evolve and still be entertaining. The "what" or repertoire changes over the years as does the "level of achievement" or excellence .

What also changes or doesn't change is the taste of the audience. Everyone I talked to seemed to think this was a very entertaining season. I do not know of anyone who thought the activity as a whole was declining. IMO people may not have liked programming issues of specific groups, but they never once said ill of DCI.

The amplification is a strongly contested issue and it will be for awhile. It was more in the way it was used and the added expense to keep up with the other corps............ Many groups adapted and used this as another tool to enhance their ensemble.

I thought the shows were extremely entertaining as well as educational. The final placement was as close to being dead on as I have seen it in a while -

IMO

In this case I did not intend for "old" to mean age--old as in "old" fans of drum corps...I am not old or young, so I am not one to call anyone either--but old "fans" in this case being people who loved say the 60's,70's and 80's and earlier, many of whom never evolved along with drum corps into what it is today. Those people tend to discuss the DEMISE and decline of drum corps and how NO BODY on the planet likes it and look no one new is coming and that simply isnt fact. I meet someone new that hasnt been to a drum corps show about every year! I have brought a new friend to drum corps about every year I have been serious about going (96 on) and some love it and keep going with me, some like it and come sometimes and some, well just don't dig it. My point is, there are a lot of "new fans" out there--I know several and they think the shows have gotten better each year we go. Some of them are even "older" (my stepdad is 65) and loves it, but not "old" as in fan years since he has only gone the last 3.

I apologize I should have been more clear---but I do still think a majority and not all of the people who have been watching drum corps for over 10years assume its going down the tubes because they dont like the current direction...at least the loud ones. As far as so many empty spaces at Madison--next time send them my way, I must have attracted a lot of people because everyone night we were in like canned fish! We sat in three different locations and one night, one of my buddies had to give up his seat to fit the row in...

I wonder what old or young has to do with anything...................is because if you are old.............. you don't like whats happening now because heaven for bid the old people want to keep corps exactly as it was (doubt that very much)..........and the young people love it because it is so esoteric (again know that is a blanket statement)!!!!!!!!!!!

No one who agrees that corps are not playing to their strengths should be pidgeon holed into any other catagory except they want drum corps to survive.........and right now its on the edge...........losing corps and fans fast..............It's a wake up call.......when you see as many empty seats in Madison (of all places) as I did.

The issue of what constitutes 'entertainment' is - as some already have aptly pointed out - very subjective. It's about personal preferences, generational and cultural differences etc. My marching days were in the 60's so that was my launch benchmark of entertainment. I have enjoyed the shows from most every era. Personal tastes are just that, but there is always the middle of road which satisfies a broad base of people. IMHO - no one questions the quality/excellence of the corps on the field today - at each level - they are phenomenal - in my own case, I find some shows fantastically entertaining today and some others justt don't have it.' . However, current show designs - however complex - are not for everyone where the shows of back when ( 50s thru say 90's) - pleased most everyone - generally speaking. I believe that the performance of the Madison Scouts Alumni at DCI is the epitomy of the issue. From a music show point of view - it was absolutely awesome and the crowd was over the top with their appreciation of being truly 'entertained.'

Going back to the dawn of DCI - the likes of Don Angelica and others envisioned crowds of 40-50,000 in the stands for the top major shows. We never got there. To do so requires growing a fan base comprised of both those in the activity and outside of the activity - the common man so to speak. The concerns that many I have talked to is that the current shows are artistically phenomenal and executed brilliantly, but they are truly appreciated by a dwindling audience who can absorb the artful brilliance portrayed - something akin to watching a ballet versus a Pirates of the Carribean movie. To see what - 24-28,000 fans at Madison this year was wonderful - but when I look back in my own past and recall playing to crowds in the 60's such as the Dream (22,000) and the Canadian National Exposition Show in Toronto ( 25,000 ) - I ask - relatively speaking - we have not grown the activity in terms of fan base. Financial issues for all corps will continue to grow unless the fan base is expanded so there can be more revenues flowing into the coffers. Putting shows on the field that entertain across a broader spectrum of fans and potential fans is what I believe is the crux of the issues discussed related to the entertainment factor.

Perhaps exposure on ESPN in September will help grow the fan base - hopefully so.

Edited by coloradocorp