Victory at Sea

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jay B @ Aug 17 2006, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

The main theme is a great piece of music. In addition to the corps mentioned above, the Royal Airs did it in 63 as an opener. When Victory at Sea has been used, it has been as one song in the show, not the entire show. With todays theme show imperitive, I don't think there is enough meat there for a full show. Its movie music. Though, the Godfather kind of worked for the BD so maybe I'm wrong. It is also a style of music that I am not sure fits today's marching style. If it was performed, it would probably need to be chopped up and mangled beyond recognition.

The Royal-Airs opener in '63 was "Quo Vadis", however another midwest corps, the Belleville Black Knights, did play "Victory At Sea" that year as their otl.

You are right. Great catch. Listening to it right now. Sound De Corps Records LP, Blue and Gold Tournament of Champions, Vol 1.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Peabody Musketeers used it for their opening fanfare in '62 which makes me suspect they could have used more of it a year or two previously. Don't remember if they played it in '63