Another reason to not like the 10-year Indy deal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention....these Alumni organisations are FULL of past champions. Champions know how to overcome adversity. They are willing to make sacrifices to achieve a common goal. They know how to, 'git 'er done.' B)

It will discourage performances of alumni corps at D.C.I.

Put me down as neutral to positive on this one. It's not that I haven't enjoyed most of the alumni corps' performances. It's just that I hate the hype that accompanies them. Specifically, I can't stand the many numbskulls who offer some version of this infamous phrase I heard on the eve of an alumni corps performance during finals week more than a decade ago: "This is going to revolutionize drum corps."

Too many people reliving their happy memories of the past while the Scouts or whichever reunion corps plays assume their heartfelt emotions are a modern consensus. They're not. While I delighted in 27 playing Crown Imperial and Might St. Joe's playing Bully and SCV playing pretty much everything, I understand it's nostalgia that can't be replicated over the course of the summer and again the next. It's a one-off, and it should be.

So if 10 years in Indy means no reunion corps, I say fine. The tunes I miss I can catch on CD. The comments about how "this is real drum corps" I won't miss at all.

HH

if I march (which I'm planning on) I'll be at the same place for 5 years straight.

sorry people who support this idea, but I hate it. Once or twice in a row is fine, but if you're going to put drum corps in the same city for 10 years, at least make it Madison.

~>conner

Put me down as neutral to positive on this one. It's not that I haven't enjoyed most of the alumni corps' performances. It's just that I hate the hype that accompanies them. Specifically, I can't stand the many numbskulls who offer some version of this infamous phrase I heard on the eve of an alumni corps performance during finals week more than a decade ago: "This is going to revolutionize drum corps."

Too many people reliving their happy memories of the past while the Scouts or whichever reunion corps plays assume their heartfelt emotions are a modern consensus. They're not. While I delighted in 27 playing Crown Imperial and Might St. Joe's playing Bully and SCV playing pretty much everything, I understand it's nostalgia that can't be replicated over the course of the summer and again the next. It's a one-off, and it should be.

So if 10 years in Indy means no reunion corps, I say fine. The tunes I miss I can catch on CD. The comments about how "this is real drum corps" I won't miss at all.

HH

I don't know one person in the Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni corps that has said "This is going to revolutionize drum corps." I would guess the same for Madison and 27th. Perhaps FANS of "old style" drum corps think, say, or hope that but it isn't realistic to think ONE performance will change anything that currently goes on with Junior Drum Corps.

We're not that powerful..............................................................but it would be nice, admittedly, since you brought it up.

if I march (which I'm planning on) I'll be at the same place for 5 years straight.

sorry people who support this idea, but I hate it. Once or twice in a row is fine, but if you're going to put drum corps in the same city for 10 years, at least make it Madison.

~>conner

Not sure I follow your reasoning here. You don't want to march Finals in the same place every year. I get that. But you'd be willing to do it in Madison instead of Indy. Why not wait 'till we see what the stadium and the atmosphere is like before saying this? Look, I liked being in Madison for the tradition and all, but honestly, the crowd wasn't any bigger than in Foxboro or Denver and was just as enthusiastic as in those cities but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say significantly moreso. And the stadium is considerably less comfortable, both for sitting and souvie purposes, etc.

I agree with the part about prefering to go to different cities, but if the experiences are going to be tainted by difficulties in securing housing, inexperienced (drum corps wise) stadium operations (a la Foxboro) and the like, I'm willing to give Indy a chance before denouncing. At some point, I must trust that DCI has taken enough info/view points into consideration and knows what their doing.

(edit -- sorry for veering off topic a bit, and I know there are other threads covering this. Only response in this vein, I promise :lol: )

Edited by Liam

Good to hear it, though I dare say someone near me in the stands will surely make some similar absurd representation that after the Kingsmen perform ...

That said, I'm sure I'll enjoy the Kingsmen, provided that is you're playing Artistry in Rhythm, one of the great tunes of all time (drum corps, jazz or otherwise - Kenton was genius).

HH

Not sure I follow your reasoning here. You don't want to march Finals in the same place every year. I get that. But you'd be willing to do it in Madison instead of Indy. Why not wait 'till we see what the stadium and the atmosphere is like before saying this? Look, I liked being in Madison for the tradition and all, but honestly, the crowd wasn't any bigger than in Foxboro or Denver and was just as enthusiastic as in those cities but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say significantly moreso. And the stadium is considerably less comfortable, both for sitting and souvie purposes, etc.

I agree with the part about prefering to go to different cities, but if the experiences are going to be tainted by difficulties in securing housing, inexperienced (drum corps wise) stadium operations (a la Foxboro) and the like, I'm willing to give Indy a chance before denouncing. At some point, I must trust that DCI has taken enough info/view points into consideration and knows what their doing.

(edit -- sorry for veering off topic a bit, and I know there are other threads covering this. Only response in this vein, I promise :lol: )

what I'm saying is if you're going to make an official home to drum corps, put it where the most history is.

~>conner

....I agree with the part about prefering to go to different cities, but if the experiences are going to be tainted by difficulties in securing housing, inexperienced (drum corps wise) stadium operations (a la Foxboro) and the like, I'm willing to give Indy a chance before denouncing....

Is there a guarantee being provided regarding housing sites in Indy? We have all heard stories about certain corps trashing housing sites and not being asked back. When I marched, our director was intent on leaving schools in better condition when we left than when we first arrived so we'd be able to use the housing site at a future date. So, what happens when housing sites do not ask corps back because of this mistreatment? One would assume that this may make it more difficult to find housing sites, wouldn't it?

what I'm saying is if you're going to make an official home to drum corps, put it where the most history is.

~>conner

Okay, violating my "last post" promise already. B) This time I MEAN IT !!!!

I appreciate your historical sentiment, but that's not enough reason to house a modern championship long-term. If for some reason the NFL felt the need to have the Super Bowl in a single location, no one in their right mind would suggest Canton, OH simply because that's the birthplace. It would be situated in the stadium and city that makes the most sense now.

Anyway, best of luck in your marching career, wherever it is that we see you .... :)

(Edit -- no offense to Canton of course -- I'm sure you see my point)

Edited by Liam