Another reason to not like the 10-year Indy deal

It will discourage performances of alumni corps at D.C.I. 2-7 alumni did their gig in Boston, Madison alumni in Madison and the Anaheim Kingsmen will do theirs (ours) in Pasadena next summer. After that, I suppose Star could do one if they wished in 08 but after that.....................

It's a little easier to do an alumni corps performance if DCI is held in your own city. It's a major deterrent to have to travel a long distance to do so. You still could, of course, but it is a deterrent nevertheless.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, however ...

1) You're assuming that most alums currently live where the corps in from. Don't know actual figures, but I'll wager that a healthy percentage of Madison Alums travelled in (at their own expense :lol: ) to do it. As far as I can tell, none regret the decision. Judging from the post-show enthusiasm of the Madison guys, it seems that most of them would have gone to finals in China for the experience they had.

2) Even if 1) above were untrue, there are still a few reasonably close who could accommodate -- Phantom, Cavies, Star as you mentioned, Pioneer, Blue Stars, as well as many now defunct corps (:() that I'm sure I'm missing.

3) It's not like there is always an Alumni Corps every single year at finals. We've a a couple recently and there are others in the works, but by no means has this been, or would this likely be in the future, an every year thing anyway.

Plus Pioneer & Blue Stars, Indy is not near as close as Madison to those corps, but not as far as other Championship locations would be. (And closer for them two than it would be for Cadets)

Edit: Sorry Liam, I was posting mine when you posted yours.

Edited by dcifan25

I'd be in for Regiment Alumni corps even though I'm nowhere close to Illinois. That would be awesome.

alumni corps have been a great addition to championships, BUT... DCI championships are focused on the members of DCI corps now.

I love tradition, I love alumni, that's why I appreciate that DCA regularly includes Alumni corps and has an annual alumni spectacular as part of the championship weekend.

I would love always have an alumni corps at championships, but not having them isn't a downside.

just MHO

I would march in the Regiment Alumni Corps in a heartbeat. I have a good friend that is a Madison Alum and he could not join the Madison Alum corps this year and he hated it. He made me promise him that if Regiment ever put one together, that I would do it. Is there one in the works at all? How awsome would it be to have 250-300 Regiment Alums playing Amazing Grace?

alumni corps have been a great addition to championships, BUT... DCI championships are focused on the members of DCI corps now.

I love tradition, I love alumni, that's why I appreciate that DCA regularly includes Alumni corps and has an annual alumni spectacular as part of the championship weekend.

I would love always have an alumni corps at championships, but not having them isn't a downside.

just MHO

I understand two things;

1. DCI finals weekend is, and should always be, about the current/active junior drum corps and it's marching members. It's their show.

2. DCI would do just fine without any alumni corps marching & I consider myself fortunate they are letting us relive our youth even for just one night.

So, I guess I'm agreeing with you except I still see 10 years in Indy as a downside.