New From "Brass Band Field Theater"

It has begun. DCI and the "Madison Scouts Alumni Project". Now when ever they talk about a special group forming to to do a DCI show, they say Project. I really think think they go out of their way to make us "Old" outdated people Puke.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

I saw your original post...

And I thought I was bitter....

It has begun. DCI and the "Madison Scouts Alumni Project". Now when ever they talk about a special group forming to to do a DCI show, they say Project. I really think think they go out of their way to make us "Old" outdated people Puke.

I changed it for that reason. It was too strong. BUT, if you wish to see how unworthy the Alumni movement is just go to the DCI section of this site and read about the Madison Alumni "Project". Many do say how great the M.A.P. was, but it is the ones talking about keeping them or ANY Alumni type thing on a continuing basis. Not very pleasent reading!

Something that gets me going is. That you must agree with EVERYTHING DCI does or is, or you are wrong, bad or stupid and Un educated. No matter how many times any of us Alumni or old style people say How Great, Fabulus, or whatever that what they do is. AND, I do say that. BUT, I will not call it Drum Corps or for sure "Drum and Bugle Corps". It is not. It is "Brass Band Field Theater".

If you're ever "up nawth", try to catch Mighty St. Joe's ALUMNI.

15 years and still rolling.

Nothing to do with DCI.

We play REAL MUSIC, and have fun.

Not a project, "just" a Drum and Bugle Corps.

I really want to understand your point in this thread. If I misunderstand, please clarify.

DCI HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH The Madison Scout Alumni Reunion Project! I repeat, nothing. This was a "project" put on by the Alumni themselves. This was all about the Green Gods getting together as brothers to have the time of their lives. It was NOT a political statement, nor a jab at anyone, nor was it "Brass Band Field Theater"! It was real life honest-to-God, in your face, DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS, the way we love it.

So again, I pray and I hope I misunderstood your take on the "Project". I will not have what those men did in any way insulted by someone who doesn't understand the love, dedication and sacrifice they had to give to this reunion.

They had to struggle just to get DCI to allow them to perform. In fact, if you were there, you would've noticed that the Scouts Alumni had to suffer in the stuffy heat of the tunnels while the I & E winners were given tribute, and were not even announced to enter the field. The only thing DCI did was to "allow" them to present the show.

Oh, one more thing, "Project" was the name given to the project by the members themselves. Again, NOT DCI's idea.

Edited by rrheinlen

I really want to understand your point in this thread. If I misunderstand, please clarify.

DCI HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH The Madison Scout Alumni Reunion Project! I repeat, nothing. This was a "project" put on by the Alumni themselves. This was all about the Green Gods getting together as brothers to have the time of their lives. It was NOT a political statement, nor a jab at anyone, nor was it "Brass Band Field Theater"! It was real life honest-to-God, in your face, DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS, the way we love it.

So again, I pray and I hope I misunderstood your take on the "Project". I will not have what those men did in any way insulted by someone who doesn't understand the love, dedication and sacrifice they had to give to this reunion.

They had to struggle just to get DCI to allow them to perform. In fact, if you were there, you would've noticed that the Scouts Alumni had to suffer in the stuffy heat of the tunnels while the I & E winners were given tribute, and were not even announced to enter the field. The only thing DCI did was to "allow" them to present the show.

Oh, one more thing, "Project" was the name given to the project by the members themselves. Again, NOT DCI's idea.

Yes indeed, I was not clear enough. The Madison Scouts Alumni Corps project, Was to be hailed as one of the BEST ever. Your use of the term "Project" was not what I am talking about. It is the way the the other non Scouts have taken that part of what you did and are using it ("Project") as meaning.

"It's ok for a group to come back together for a "One Time" thing. But anything more is not Good".

I belong to an Alumni Corps. I believe that although we can Never regain that time and place we had. It is good that so many of us and the Alumni Fans can. We understand our place in things. We have fun anf create enjoyment to others. I find it too bad that more areas do not wish to join in with all us people, and keep our type of "Drum and Bugle Corps" going on a regular basis. But as Opposed to the ones who see ONLY the DCI ("Brass Band Field Theater") say . We in the Senior/All Age area and Alumni Corps area, part of things can only hope that one day More groups will do the same.

To the Madison Scouts Alumni. THANK YOU for the GREAT job you did. I have seen the show here on the web and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Great Job, you were far more than anyone could have imagined! You blew the place away. Just listen to the Crowd reaction. Had I been there. You would have seen the tears of Joy (between the jumping up and down cheering) for you :blink::rock::rock::worthy::blink: .

Thank you for clarifying. I see now that I misunderstood your post, and I apologize. As you can see from my signature, I did not participate :( , but I was there to support the guys 1,000 %. I was a Madison Scouts groupie (although my fiance doesn't refer to me that way, since I was a marching member of a corps) for 5 years, and love them with a passion. I have never seen such a brotherhood as I experienced all of last week.

I think what you are trying to say is that it's too bad that some people don't see how a Reunion Corps can stay on the field and compete, and be appreciated show after show. (Does that sentence make sense?) What I've heard from some of the MSARP members is that one of the reasons this corps was so awesome is that it was a one time only good deal, and that made it all the sweeter. This statement is not meant to detract from the competing Alumni Corps, only to explain that the beauty of the experience was its brevity. You can say that the MSARP "peaked" at their moment in the sun (or the stadium lights). The guys feel a huge sense of accomplishment and the bittersweet feelings of having to return to reality with the taste of this experience in their hearts.

I agree totally with your characterization of todays groups as "Brass Band Field Theater". I think that about sums it up, and should be the new name for the activity. And, I still think the marching members are great, for all the talent and hard work they put into the shows. That much has not changed. They are still young folks that have put their lives on hold for their passion. They love this thing called Drum Corps, although you and I and many others think that description does not belong to this newer style of pagentry.

Thank you for clarifying. I see now that I misunderstood your post, and I apologize. As you can see from my signature, I did not participate :( , but I was there to support the guys 1,000 %. I was a Madison Scouts groupie (although my fiance doesn't refer to me that way, since I was a marching member of a corps) for 5 years, and love them with a passion. I have never seen such a brotherhood as I experienced all of last week.

I think what you are trying to say is that it's too bad that some people don't see how a Reunion Corps can stay on the field and compete, and be appreciated show after show. (Does that sentence make sense?) What I've heard from some of the MSARP members is that one of the reasons this corps was so awesome is that it was a one time only good deal, and that made it all the sweeter. This statement is not meant to detract from the competing Alumni Corps, only to explain that the beauty of the experience was its brevity. You can say that the MSARP "peaked" at their moment in the sun (or the stadium lights). The guys feel a huge sense of accomplishment and the bittersweet feelings of having to return to reality with the taste of this experience in their hearts.

I agree totally with your characterization of todays groups as "Brass Band Field Theater". I think that about sums it up, and should be the new name for the activity. And, I still think the marching members are great, for all the talent and hard work they put into the shows. That much has not changed. They are still young folks that have put their lives on hold for their passion. They love this thing called Drum Corps, although you and I and many others think that description does not belong to this newer style of pagentry.

Just a note RR;

Alumni Corps do not compete. They do it for fun and enjoyment to both themselves and the "Drum and Bugle Corps" fans.

Some Alumni corps do Full field shows. Like the Cabs did at DCI in Boston. They spend a lot more time at it than others. (Bridgemen - Mighty St. Joe's Batavia - Scout House and others also do that) Then there are Corps that do what is called a "Park and Blow". They come on the field and play songs from their Corps Past. (NY Skyliners - Yankee Rebles - St. Kevin's - Reilly - Archie on and on). Some Corps do a part field show and a Park and Blow. (Park City Pride. a comglomerate of some of the greatest Corps to come out of the Bridgeport, Conn. area).

Some people make it to the weekly or bi weekly or monthly practices. Depending which kind of Corps it is. Some save Honor Guard spots for people like me that can only make two or three shows a year.

I spend almost $2,500.00 a year to march twice. (It is a long way from Florida to New Jersey and New York.) But, oh what Great fun and comradie for those Weekend back in Corps. Even in the small way I can.

Now the Senior/All Age Corps Compete almost every week from June to September. I find DCA more entertaining. They have some groups like Bushwacker and Reading Buccaneers are more DCI type. Some of the others still maintain more of a Drum and Bugle Corps Look and feel. Like Renegades, Cabs, Kilties and others. It is much more Diverse than DCI to many of us.

But as we agree. Each to his or her own. All have Class, Quality, and Entertainment

Thank you for the education. My fiance and I had no real idea what the Alumni Corps were all about, in reference to DCA. I think it's wonderful that you can be associated with something like that, even on a part time basis. Even a twice a year opportunity to play and experience that emotion is something I dream about.

David got to have a once in a lifetime chance to go through his glory days again, and neither one of us would trade it for Bill Gates' money.

Again, I take nothing away from today's participants, although it no longer seems to me to be Drum Corps. It is an entertainment form, and it has it's place. Some of us, however, are not into that style. But, it makes some people happy, so I will not insult it. At least not on a public forum.

I would give my right arm to have the opportunity to do Drum Corps one more time, if not repeatedly. The kind of Drum Corps that I had the honor to participate in.

The MSARP experience was like nothing I've ever known. Yeah, it's fun to have a reunion (High School, family, whatever), but to DO what they did in their glory days, in front of 20,000 screaming fans, is priceless.

In the True Spirit of Drum Corps,

Oh, and LucysSkylinerAlumni, LSA for short. You don't mind if I call you LSA, do you?

What is this, like, our own personal topic? :P