Trumpet/soprano mouthpiece

shadowskream

Hey guys, I'm a high school senior getting ready for Drum Corps auditions, and I'm trying to find a good mouthpiece for both my audition, and for every day use. I currently play on a bach 3c, one of the two mouthpieces I can have in the corps. the ther is a 1 1/2c. what would be the biggest change in how it would feel, and what would range do? Also, what would be a good mouthpiece for my upper range, just for everyday use?

thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick with what you've playing on and work on refining your technique. I've been on the mouthpiece safari and after MANY expensive mouthpieces, the one I ended up on was an old 3C I found on the ground at a marching band rehearsal. Now, is that to say that everyone should play a 3C? No; however, the 3C is a good middle-of-the road mouthpiece that will serve you well IF you have been progressing on it already and aren't hampered by it. A 1 1/2C will give you a bigger, broader sound but will sap your endurance and range unless you are practicing a lot.

Mouthpieces I've Played On

Bach 3C (Big & Small letters)

Bach 1.5C

Stork 2C (twice)

GR 65M

GR 66M

GR 66L

GR G66***

GR 67M2 (my favorite, but I started student teaching and couldn't handle the diameter anymore)

Reeves 43S

I would have saved more time, money, and agony if I had stuck with my 3C way back in my freshman year of college and had a good teacher. There are plenty in Alabama, you just need to go to them if you really want to improve.

BTW, contrary to my username, I am a trumpet player.

Edited by lowend

Chase... Stay with what your playing. Like the above poster, I've played on a bunch. Once you refine things, you will pick the mouthpiece that is correct for you. I have a double C and i can play it on a Schilke 20 (a tub) a 3C, a 14a4a, or my 4MD 24 throated Warburton.

Your in Arab, I'm not that far away at all. Peter Lott at A&M, yes I said A&M, is a monster of a player that is worth the drive to Huntsville.

PM me if you want some suggestions on teachers.

Edited by CloudHype

I've heard the 14a4a referred to as "instant chops" but I've never tried it. A lot of great lead players use a 3C or 1.5C, but a lot also use "cheater" mouthpieces. In the end, good technique and breath support will make more of a difference than the mouthpiece. In terms of auditions, I think tone quality and control are valued more than range, so stick with the deeper bowl.

Have a look at Wayne Downey's column - Brass Advantage. We've just posted a new issue where Wayne discusses range and tone development. Previous issues have discussed mouthpiece and instrument selection, circular breathing, and other techniques for brass players.

Brass Advantage - Issue 1

Brass Advantage - Issue 2

Brass Advantage - Issue 3

Brass Advantage - Issue 4

Brass Advantage - Issue 5

If you have a question that you'd like Wayne to answer in a future column, send your questions to AskWayne@drumcorpsplanet.com.

Keep an eye out on the front page of DCP for new issues of Wayne Downey's Brass Advantage column.

-john

I've heard the 14a4a referred to as "instant chops" but I've never tried it.

Yeah, a Schilke 14a4a added about a 3rd to my upper range and killed my tone. The problem was after about 15 minutes, my lips started collapsing into the cup and bottoming out. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice, and think I will probably stick with the 3, and maybe try the 1.5, just to see how it feels.

And yeah I can't stand to play a 14A4A, I had charlies problem.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice, and think I will probably stick with the 3, and maybe try the 1.5, just to see how it feels.

And yeah I can't stand to play a 14A4A, I had charlies problem.

Don't limit yourself to just Bach mouthpieces or Bach clones. There are many great mouthpiece makers out there and each piece has it's own unique characteristics. :)

It really depends on you. If you're planning on being a lead or soloist, a smaller mouthpiece might be a good idea, if it suits you.

The best tihng to do is talk to a professional/teacher [band director, for example]

He/She will be able to tell you what you need to do.

It really depends on you. If you're planning on being a lead or soloist, a smaller mouthpiece might be a good idea, if it suits you.

The best tihng to do is talk to a professional/teacher [band director, for example]

He/She will be able to tell you what you need to do.

I'm gona agree and disagree. Ask a trumpet teacher! I have seen many band directors put kids on a mouthpiece that is the wrong size for a player.