Audition suggestions?

For SCV, there's a great pit book that they at least used to use, Jim Ancona and Casella's 'Up Front' that has a TON of information about their style as well as lots of exercises.

You can pick it up here: http://store.scvanguard.org/Up_Front_P22C53.cfm

It's a pretty big book, and well worth it, IMO.

I would say that book applies more to the Cavaliers now than anyone else. SCV is still SCV but Brian Mason has his own style that is not the same as Jim Ancona and/or Jim Cassella. I still think that book is wonderful but whatever audition information they release will be posted on www.scvanguard.org

I highly recommend a high and tight, many pushups and going for the SCV cymbal line. Who in thier right mind wants to sit in the PIT???

If I wasn't a bass drummer, my 2nd choice would have been as a front ensemble member. Unless you play timpani, they definitely do more than "sit" in the pit.

Who in thier right mind wants to sit in the PIT???

The more intelligent people who realize they don't have to learn drill or move if they are members of the pit. Besides, moving is overrated....

:rolleyes:

And to actually answer your question, just look around online for a nice solo to play. Find something you personally enjoy, that way you can actually get into it and perform it, which is what they would want to see you be able to do. Look around on www.tapspace.com and www.steveweissmusic.com, or anywhere else you can think of. Also make sure you are comfortable with the different two and four mallet techniques. Another thing that people can sometimes overlook is to be outgoing and actually talk to the other members! They'll be looking for people who are the best fit, both talent wise and personality wise.

Edited by Carl306

What pieces have you played in the past? I'd be happy to reccomend some selections, but would need to know where you're coming from.

Best of luck

I've played the easier cliche marimba solos like rhytm song and yellow after the rain and parody. I'm look for something a bit more challenging, but not too crazy.

They have straps for those things!!!

they also have wheels.

~>conner