Discussion of Historical Photos Conspiracy

coolhandluke4.JPG

What we've got here is a failure to communicate......

omg that uncle z guy is so stinkin' funny!!!

:lolhit:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know this whole mess started because some babies started crying that someone was selling their pictures. How much money was actually involved $100.00, $500.00, $1000.00? I’ll bet it was less than $100.00. All of this commotion for chump change! Some of you people need to get a life. I’m going to start posting a few more pics and if you want to sell the prints for a few cents, knock yourself out!

You know this whole mess started because some babies started crying that someone was selling their pictures. How much money was actually involved $100.00, $500.00, $1000.00? I’ll bet it was less than $100.00. All of this commotion for chump change! Some of you people need to get a life. I’m going to start posting a few more pics and if you want to sell the prints for a few cents, knock yourself out!

OK, well... that's one point of view. Understood and acknowledged. Maybe a little harsh (IMO) in that some people might not see it that same exact way, and I don't think they are "babies" who need to "get a life" ... but that's just me.

Another point of view might be more like this:

Say I was showing pictures at a gallery or displaying pictures at some kind of fair or show so people could SEE them and ENJOY them. I would have a problem if someone came over to my display, took a few of the photos down, and went to their own booth and sold them as their own property, no matter how much money they get for them in the sale.

Ya follow me? Just another point of view...

Stef, If you go to the first site

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/drumc...ofthe60sand70s/

that we have left you will see a Disclaimer that says "Disclaimer: This site Drum Corps of the 60's and 70's and the owners and moderators accept no responsibility or liability for content, opinions etc." I am not saying what I did was right but there are others doing it.. I had extra pics and sole about 20 3 X 5's (small) for about $25 before Ebays charges... I did not know they were from an individual...someone sent them to me... Afterall I had over 3000 pics on there and I don't know today who sent what...Most people don't know how to put a pic on the site so I did it for them...they sent them to me personally and i saved and put them on...That was the reason my name is on most of them...If you look at the name of the sites, you can tell I don't know much about computers...4 years ago I had 1 site and as it filled up I made a 2nd and as that filled up I made a 3rd... Each time I had to move all the pics from 1 site to the other to keep them in alphabetic order...Then I started Seniors & the same thng happened..It became a challenge and I am retired with not much to do as I lost my hubby and was at home all the time....Also there would be no sense in putting it in a disk (which I don't know how) but it is on Yahoo's site so as long as they won't let me in I still couldn't get to it....

If Yahoo got copyright infringement...remember it all started here....I don't care who...but it was here...You know it is ironic....I had great 8 x 10 of Holy Name cadets (The Cadets) in 54, 55 & other corps in 55 and I sent them to Bob BellaRosa for the Drum Corps Hall of Fame (of which I don't think he has it anymore) They were given to me by the Cadets when we housed them at a Bon Bon competition... You would think that Drum Corps would have A REAL Hall of Fame so we could send things to because they are going to get lost as the years go on...That was the reason for my site...Here is a link to my Bon Bon's from the 40's & 50's that I made... I am glad it wasn't with Yahoo or todays. world...Mar PS Again look at eh URL...LOL!!!

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/chickie0464/index.html

Don't you store your data on disk or CD?

This is a danger you face with storing images or other data you 'own' online. If there is a catastrophic event resulting in a server completely crashing.. and all of it's backups going belly up, you can lose everything. You should ALWAYS store your data on disk or CD. ALWAYS.

Aside from that, I believe if Yahoo got a report of a copyright infringement, they can take any steps necessary to protect themselves.. the same way eBay can.. or any site owned by someone else but you use to conduct commerce or store data. If someone else owns it (the bandwidth or site space), you can rest assured there is a loophole somewhere in the agreement you toggle check and agree to that says they can do whatever they have to do to protect themselves from legal action as a result of something you may or may not have done.

You can blame that on drum corps if you want, but the bottom line is, this is a legal matter and if you were taking pictures of birthday party clowns off the internet and selling them (whether given to you or not..) and someone complained, you'd face the exact same response from Yahoo or eBay.

I wonder, Marlene, if you've been approached in the past by people who said, "hey, you're selling MY PHOTOGRAPH and you need to stop it!" especially if it's happened more than once.. wouldn't it raise a flag to you about all the pictures that person gave or sold to you? Wouldn't you want to do everything in your power -- as a merchant -- to make sure what you were doing was not only legal.. but right (in the moral sense) as well? In the interest of your business remaining viable and trustworthy in the eyes of your potential customers??

It's just a thought and I wonder what you think in response.

Thanks,

Stef

I never had a question of pics before... I forgot this is the links to the over 3000 pictures that are gone...Mar

The first is open and you can join...

Join our other groups, more pics, more music files!

You must be a member of each group to access photos in those groups.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/drumc...ofthe60sand70s/

-----> photos of Junior corps A-B

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/DrumCorpsphotos1/

-----> photos of Junior corps C-N

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/DrumCorpsphotos3/

-----> photos of Junior corps O-Z

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/drumcorpsSeniorCorps/

-----> photos of Senior corps A-J

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/drumcorpsSeniorCorps2/

-----> photos of Senior corps K-Z

Alumni Groups

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/drumcorpsphotos2/

-----> photos of Alumni corps A-M

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Drumc...sand70sAlumni2/

-----> photos of Alumni corps N-Z

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/drumc...fthe60sand70s3/

-----> photos of Shows (DCA, Scranton, Reilly's, etc.)

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Drumc...fthe60sand70s4/

-----> photos of Shows (Waverly, Foxboro etc.)

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/drumcorpsphotos/

-----> photos of Icons, Members, Antiques, Drum Majors, etc.

Say I was showing pictures at a gallery or displaying pictures at some kind of fair or show so people could SEE them and ENJOY them. I would have a problem if someone came over to my display, took a few of the photos down, and went to their own booth and sold them as their own property, no matter how much money they get for them in the sale.

Your analogy is just a bit off. It’s more like you exhibited your photos at the fair and some dude with a cheap digital camera snaps a pic of one. Goes home makes a print of the picture and scans that image in to his computer and then sells prints of that scanned image. The resulting print is going to be a POS and anyone who pays money for it is a fool. Was it right to sell images that were not their own…NO! Bye the way Chickadee permission to publish is not the same as permission to sell. Did the whole issue get blown out of proportion?

I guess the saying is right that people buy anything on ebay... :sshh:

Edited by Lancerlady

I have 2 pics of the Cadets (Holy Name) I would like you to see...How do I put them on???

I guess the saying is right that people buy anything on ebay... :sshh:

It is a lot different then taking a picture at a Gallary (which I wouldn't go to anyway) than doing it with pics sent in with the ok to do it and my own pics and they were anywhere from 25 to 50 years old...with no name or copyright number on them...At least Moe Knox had the sense back in the 50's to have his name on the pictures...People today don't have brains enought to do that...they can put a right click - don't do that on it...or as Bands n Corps does...have it imprinted on every pic that goes out...The photographers today don't want to spend the time or the money to do it...This is my opinion...

OK, well... that's one point of view. Understood and acknowledged. Maybe a little harsh (IMO) in that some people might not see it that same exact way, and I don't think they are "babies" who need to "get a life" ... but that's just me.

It is a lot different then taking a picture at a Gallary (which I wouldn't go to anyway) than doing it with pics sent in with the ok to do it and my own pics and they were anywhere from 25 to 50 years old...with no name or copyright number on them...At least Moe Knox had the sense back in the 50's to have his name on the pictures...People today don't have brains enought to do that...they can put a right click - don't do that on it...or as Bands n Corps does...have it imprinted on every pic that goes out...The photographers today don't want to spend the time or the money to do it...This is my opinion...

I don't think it's a question of lack of brains.. more a lack of knowledge. Ignorance doesn't necessarily make you an idiot (as my sociology professor once said), it just makes you disadvantaged compared to others who aren't.

All it takes to copyright a photograph is to pick up a camera and click the shutter. That's it. You don't have to register it anywhere. You don't have to get a copyright number. You just have to take the picture (or have someone else take a picture at your direction with YOUR camera and film).

Most people just don't know any better. All you really need with prints is an Avery label and a pen to write "©" and your name and maybe the date. It gets more confusing when you want to put a watermark or block people from right clicking on your published image because you have to fiddle with the image file and know what to put where. To some it's simple-dimple. To others (like me, for example), it's quantum physics. But it doesn't cost anything to do it -- so I don't think it's that people don't want to spend the money.. They just don't know how.. or it's daunting when you don't know to go teach yourself.

FWIW, I don't think your problems with copyright infringement started here. The last part of my original post asked you if it didn't raise red flags for you when, on more than one occasion (and prior to this most recent one), someone contacted you and asked you to stop selling their pictures as your own. Even if those had been given to you by someone who claimed they were theres, why would someone completely out of the blue just contact you and claim it as their own?

As a merchant, I would expect you might want to get to the bottom of it after the FIRST time, rather than waiting a couple of months and just doing it again... hoping nobody notices and expecting different results.

I really am sorry you lost your own photos. I hope you get them back and I hope you back them up onto a disk of your own (not just retain them online). At least that way you will never lose the image files.

I'm also sorry you haven't seen the error of what you were doing enough to apologize and not do it again. It seems like you want to make this the fault of the people who complained, somehow.. when in reality, you kind of brought it on yourself.

Or, you could agree with some of the white noise around here and call them whiners and babies and let them be the bad guys. I imagine it's not going to change the fact that they had their stuff stolen and sold without their permission or the fact that your own pictures are gone, though.. but if it makes you (or that other guy) feel better, more power to ya.

Stef