Drum Corps vs Grad School

jm615

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only vote that matters is his.

Thats old school thinking. The world has flipped in the other direction. With Web 2.0 thingy going full tilt you can get a good sence for what is the most popular decision.

Mom

Do corps while you can. You won't regret it.

I don't think everyone read my update...but...I'll just say it again but in a shorter version. I had a glitch with my transfer credits and stuff, and I'm not able to graduate this spring...I can't graduate until next fall...soo I am not going to Grad School until Spring '08. So that leaves this summer open to definitely doing drum corps. Thanks for everyone's honest opinions.

My mom is in full support.

My faculty is now in support as well.

Nobody every regretted putting off grad school.

I marched 5 summers in DCI (77 Cavies; 78,80,81,83 Scouts). I skipped 2 years of marching to go to summer school. I got my BA in June of 83 and then marched my last season before going straight into a PHD program. Halfway through my PHD I started burning out. I did finish it in 89, but it probably took a year longer than if I had taken a break from school somewhere along the way.

I definitely wish I had marched those 2 summers rather than going to school. Especially 82 Scouts with that magnificent horn line.

I marched junior corps probably longer than just about anyone else ever did (16 years). I have been working fulltime ever since my age out and college graduation (24 years). I have at least another 12 years of working fulltime before I can even think of retiring. That makes (36) years of working. I bet the average number of years people work fulltime is even higher than that. I would never have thought of not marching my 16th and final season to start my work life earlier.

You have many years of school and work ahead of you. You only have one summer of marching junior corps left. Do you really think that one summer will really hurt all of those years of work you have ahead of you? I really doubt it.