Drum Corps vs Grad School

jm615

Just wanted to know what opinions are out there for a 21 year old graduating senior planning on going to grad school in fall 2007. I've never completed an entire summer of drum corps because of a health issue that has been resolved and well this is my last summer to march. Facutly have strongly discouraged me from going on tour the summer before I'm expected to enter a master's program for music and I have tried to convince myself that they are right. BUT, I just can't shake the burning sensation inside of me to go on tour. I know it's something I will regret for the rest of my life if I do not march. I was hoping that some might have comments or suggestions or if anyone has had this same problem. Thanks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got all your life to go to grad school, DCI only comes around once...

I'm graduating college in May and marching rather than looking for my first Social Studies teacher job...

Grad school...March DCA if possible

Will your spot in grad school still be open for you if you don't start next Fall, and is there any way you can start the 2nd semester/quarter of the year? Is your MA going to be in performance, and will you have the time to continue practicing even if you take a year off from school?

I know it's something I will regret for the rest of my life if I do not march.

I think you answered your own question!!

School options will be available. Marching ageout year will not.

Having said that, you're a big kid now. It's YOUR choice.

Best of luck.

Edited by Texas T

Whew! Wow! That's a tough call. You can only age out of DCI once in your life, so in my young & crazy days I would probably go for it. Now that I'm old & crazy (and hopefully a little wiser) I would continue my education. They'll be plenty of candidates to fill the ranks of DCI, and once you leave school it's hard to get "back in the saddle". That's why God made DCA. :)

Grad school...March DCA if possible

I agree....and grad school should come first.

I'm a drum corps fan and obviously a DCA supporter, but the "real world" is much more important than drum corps will ever be.

Fran

Obviously I'm in the minority here so far but........

It's not as if you have to choose one or the other..... you can still go to grad school AFTER marching a DCI corps for a year. However, you CAN'T march a DCI corps after grad school. If you already believe you'll reget it if you don't march, then you definitely will.

I speak from experience...... I skipped my last 2 years of eligibility to focus on my career. Now, 18 years later (and I probably realized this just a few years later) I completely regret not marching those last 2 years...... even though I had already marched 7 years! My ageout year would have been Phantom Regiment 1989. Look at what I completely missed out on being a part of! Instead of being on that field, I was sitting in the stands. And I'm certain that my career is no different today than it would be had I marched those last 2 years.

There's no age limit on the "real world".