Drum Corps Intersections in Anchorage, Alaska

I would assume the answer lies below from a website I found

Anchorage's widely scattered neighborhoods make for a city that is not particularly pedestrian-friendly. Downtown, however, invites walking. The grid plan was laid out with military precision by the Army Corps of Engineers, and streets and avenues run exactly east-west and north-south, with numbers along the first axis and letters of the alphabet or Alaska place-names (Barrow, Cordova, Denali, etc.) along the other. The only aberration is the peculiar absence of a J Street.

http://www.alaskaanchorage.net/news/article.php/1

I guess the Army engineers used b and c together at an intersection folowing the grid and armies tend to know a thing or two about drum and bugle corps.

I hope I got the answer! If not ignore me! :P

Neddy and Mike wish I knew the answer. My sister visited a friend there and got use of the car when the friend worked. Being my sister she tried to find places and things totally unlike Central PA. Finding the two DC intersections was total luck and getting two photos that you can read the signs is even more luck (before the digital camera check the screen came out).

The full size pics (I cropped the signs) don't offer any help in seeing what's in the area. You can just see more of the dump truck.

Only other thing I remember is an "old" house is one that survived the 1964 earthquake and there ain't too many old houses there.

See by the CapRegVets Mapquest capture it's near 68th Street! Really not pedestrian friendly. LOL reminds me of driving to the Seattle airport from points north and seeing exits starting around 250th Street and you're waaaay far from the city.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Well here's an arial photo of the area. Nothing corps-like, of course the streets were named some time ago and it's cool anyway.

The dump truck location is indicated in red (because that matters) and where the camera was pointed is in yellow.

alaska.jpg

Why don't we drive to anchorage and ask them what the deal is? It's only 4,373 miles from my house in Baltimore!

Edited by John Schmitt

Well here's an arial photo of the area. Nothing corps-like, of course the streets were named some time ago and it's cool anyway.

The dump truck location is indicated in red (because that matters) and where the camera was pointed is in yellow.

alaska.jpg

Why don't we drive to anchorage and ask them what the deal is? It's only 4,373 miles from my house in Baltimore!

And if you're willing to drive an extra 80 miles you can pick me up on the way. :P Too bad sis' friend moved back home.

And Wildabeast, I received Flickr instructions from a RAMD poster who is a Flickr wiz. Just haven't tried 'em yet.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Posted same on RAMD and got reference to Corps of the North from Anchorage. And a few bits about that corps.

Also from www.dcbna.com, five Alakian corps (Note C= competative)

1 Corps of the North Fairbanks J C 61-??

2 Fort Richardson Cadets Anchorage

3 Northern Cavaliers Anchorage 65-??

4 Northernaires Fairbanks J C 65-67

5 Scouts Anchorage J

And thanks for Photobucket and posting the map. Flickrs a pain since I have more DC pics I'd like to post here.

I remember "Corps of the North" came to VFW Nationals in New York City in 1966!

(seem to remember seeing. A Dark Blue bus, with Corps of the North in Gold letters on it, and Stars also in Gold, in the shape of the Big Dipper on it.)