Mini Corps

OK...I'll admit it. I've never actually seen the DCA Mini Corps. What exactly do they do....is it a Blast! kinda thing?

Edited by G-Rott

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary mini-corps are limited to 21 members and a time limit of (I may need clarification on this) between 5 and 10 minutes. Some corps elect to include movement, others may not. Some do something in-between. Repertoirs and instrumentation vary as do uniforms or lack thereof. I'll leave specifics about additional requirements and performance criteria up to Dick Pronti and DCA. I understand that some I&E rules changes may be in the works.

What I can say is that the newest addition to DCA mini-corps, Crossmen Xtreme is moving ahead with a desire to do a 'Blast' style show.

Hope this answers your question

OK...I'll admit it. I've never actually seen the DCA Mini Corps. What exactly do they do....is it a Blast! kinda thing?

Gary mini-corps are limited to 21 members and a time limit of (I may need clarification on this) between 5 and 10 minutes. Some corps elect to include movement, others may not. Some do something in-between. Repertoirs and instrumentation vary as do uniforms or lack thereof. I'll leave specifics about additional requirements and performance criteria up to Dick Pronti and DCA. I understand that some I&E rules changes may be in the works.

What I can say is that the newest addition to DCA mini-corps, Crossmen Xtreme is moving ahead with a desire to do a 'Blast' style show.

Hope this answers your question

Thank you Jim...and the crossmen announcement is the very reason I'm asking....

• 1 month later...

Mini-corps in my opinion are better then major big normal DCA corps because I personally think that there is a higher level of quality with the players in the mini corps. Now just to clarify I have no problem with anything that happens in the big corps, and I actually go and attend shows because I love going to see them and if I had the time participate in them. Having just the 21 people in the corps I think provides a level that no bigger corps can have, because at times they can be scrounging to find people to put in their lines just to make it look more full. Also along with the person limit the time limit is nice because it kinda tells people hey we have 10 minutes to do the best we can, and I don't know about any other player in a mini corps but after one of those shows we are tired because we have done all that we can. I recommend mini corps to anyone with a high playing ability, because it allows you the ability to be a little more musical and anyways you have a blast. If your having fun then there's nothing wrong with it. Hope this helps.

I can agree that there is a higher level of demand because of the 21 person limit. I the case of Crossmen Xtreme we're going with 13 brass, 4 percussion and 4 guard.........we will have full movement for the 7 minute presentation. One piece with no downtime. The guard will be active a la Blast.

Jimbalaya

Mini-corps in my opinion are better then major big normal DCA corps because I personally think that there is a higher level of quality with the players in the mini corps. Now just to clarify I have no problem with anything that happens in the big corps, and I actually go and attend shows because I love going to see them and if I had the time participate in them. Having just the 21 people in the corps I think provides a level that no bigger corps can have, because at times they can be scrounging to find people to put in their lines just to make it look more full. Also along with the person limit the time limit is nice because it kinda tells people hey we have 10 minutes to do the best we can, and I don't know about any other player in a mini corps but after one of those shows we are tired because we have done all that we can. I recommend mini corps to anyone with a high playing ability, because it allows you the ability to be a little more musical and anyways you have a blast. If your having fun then there's nothing wrong with it. Hope this helps.

I'll leave specifics about additional requirements and performance criteria up to Dick Pronti and DCA. I understand that some I&E rules changes may be in the works.

I really hope DCA and the mini-corps folks don't gum-up the works with a lot of unneeded rules. One of the great things about mini-corps at DCA is the great deal of flexibility and variety each corps presents.

Seriously, other than a maximum number of performers, a minimum size performance space, and a min-max for time, what is really needed? I'd love to see mini corps become the "anything goes" performance medium for DCA, and yes, I do include any electronics a corps would *choose* to implement. DCA would need only provide a power source.

That's what we're hoping too John. If there need to be qualifications in order to better define the parameters for adjudication it has to be addressed at the Rules Congress in January. I know XmenXtreme will be present.

Jimbalaya

I really hope DCA and the mini-corps folks don't gum-up the works with a lot of unneeded rules. One of the great things about mini-corps at DCA is the great deal of flexibility and variety each corps presents.

Seriously, other than a maximum number of performers, a minimum size performance space, and a min-max for time, what is really needed? I'd love to see mini corps become the "anything goes" performance medium for DCA, and yes, I do include any electronics a corps would *choose* to implement. DCA would need only provide a power source.

That's what we're hoping too John. If there need to be qualifications in order to better define the parameters for adjudication it has to be addressed at the Rules Congress in January. I know XmenXtreme will be present.

Jimbalaya

Really?,................cool,.................how do you get a seat at that table?

We're just gonna show up........both days............I think there needs to be input from all interested parties to insure continued success of the mini-corps and look to growth of the activity within DCA. It's a long way from Erie Gary, but just a short 2 1/2 hr. ride up the Jersey Turnpike for us.

Jimbalaya

Really?,................cool,.................how do you get a seat at that table?

We're just gonna show up........both days............I think there needs to be input from all interested parties to insure continued success of the mini-corps and look to growth of the activity within DCA. It's a long way from Erie Gary, but just a short 2 1/2 hr. ride up the Jersey Turnpike for us.

Jimbalaya

Good luck finding the room... let alone a seat? ... they have a table?