Star of Indiana 1991

Hey y'all, i need some help. We are trying to recreate those flashy little gizmos that the guard was using during the 1991 show. Does anyone out there know what they are made of? Also, did they spin them, or were they just waving them to get a flashy effect. My boss wants them exactly like Star's looked, so if there are any alumni out there i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the coins? They were on frames, and had "ball" handles that allowed them to spin while being held.

I'm not sure of the covering on them, looked like mylar or foil to me.

I made some for a guard in Arkansas in the late 90's, it's not that hard.

There are videos of the Star show out on the net, but I'm not saying where!

Edited by garfield_cadets

I know how what they are made of, but I don't exectly know HOW they were made. The materials consist of a bicycle rim, sans spokes, two office chair casters on either side. Inside of the bicycle rim, you can make any variety of design and cover it with metalic tape.

You hold the casters on either side and spin them by pushing off with your thumb.

I hope that will help you.

Good luck!

I had always heard they were rims but I could never figure that out.

Isn't it funny to find out that most corps are held together with duck tape and super glue? The non-dc person is always amazed at the ingenuity. If necessity is the mother of invention, a limited budget is it's mistress! he he he

If necessity is the mother of invention, a limited budget is it's mistress! he he he

This is definitely the truth.

I know how what they are made of, but I don't exectly know HOW they were made. The materials consist of a bicycle rim, sans spokes, two office chair casters on either side. Inside of the bicycle rim, you can make any variety of design and cover it with metalic tape.

You hold the casters on either side and spin them by pushing off with your thumb.

I hope that will help you.

Good luck!

You mean $tar didn't $pend thousands of dollars making those out of real gold? I don't believe it....need more proof :P

From failure of memory, how long and in what years was Star in existance?

Thanks

From failure of memory, how long and in what years was Star in existance?

Thanks

Star competed in DCI from 1985-1993

They did Brass Theatre for a couple years after that,

before becoming Blast. Any alums feel free to correct

me if any of this is wrong. :)

I know of an alum who has a 'coin' in his garage. I am sure I could get some close-ups of it's construction if that could help.