Magic going inactive

Get out of Orlando and move to Sarasota!!!!

Just curious what that has to do with anything? Boston Crusaders are in

Clearwater, which is a lot closer to Sarasota than Orlando.

The 2006 Magic corps had a handful of kids from Orlando, but had a

lot from south Florida and other areas, including Germany and Japan.

Is the Sarasota community more supportive of fundraising?

Again, please be more specific. Not sure what the point would be of

moving to Sarasota.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a gut feeling that this would happen. It's starting to make the Troopers former problems pale in comparison. Somebody down there just doesn't have their act together - and it's not the kids. Oh yeah, the kids. What are they supposed to do now? Especially the age-outs. If they're serious about competing this year, they're going to have to put it into high gear and scamble to who knows what audition camps, and they'll probably never get those kids back in 08'. I'm sorry, but I don't think that management has any excuse for this. It smacks of incompetency, and makes me both angry and disgusted.

Truer words were never spoken.

I ran into a corps director from a different corps a few weeks ago, so I figured this was coming. I

won't say anything else since the rest was third party.... :sshh:

What makes me mad is that they pretty much knew they weren't going to be active in 2007, yet

they strung those kids out. Now, they have to scramble around like you said. I think it's inexcusable.

I don't believe for a moment that they didn't know about this at the end of the season. Why else

would there be non-existent communication?

You are right - there is no excuse.

Maybe there's a way they can get all new blood in there and come back strong in 2008. At this

point, tho, they best have new blood, a good game plan, and demonstrated COMMUNICATION -

cause three strikes and you are out!

Stephanie is it? Forgive me for my ignorance, but have you been a part of the administration of post Magic (let's say 03 and previous) or New Magic (04 and on)? I don't think you have been. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I've been marching with this corps through two administrations. I can't recall a time you have ever been anything but negative towards Magic. It's easy for you to say "forget the past and just accept what you've done..." Maybe you could make a $400,000 donation to The Magic to pay off all that the lovely Mr. Capella did for us, and we could then use the $400,000 to keep the corps on the road with the new administration that has been cleaning up the mess. You say focus on what you have done and stop blaming the past? The past severly impacts the present. You can' t have debt like that and it not impact what you have in the present. If you think that is an untrue statement, please, by all means, lend your expert advice in how to get that stench of the old management away from the corps so people like Bruce Zeigler can be seen for all of the financial problems he's bailed this corps out of. You say you don't have time to throw around pancakes or drive busses, I don't really remember seeing you do any of those things. If you had, I apologize, but my only memories of you consist of nasty posts on messages boards. You talk about volunteers having jobs... I recall a guard girls father, Mr. Odum, toured with us in 04 despite his job and worked hard for the corps because there weren't even people to come in for a day or two... he took weeks off of work to do that. If you want a list of all the parents I know that did that 03, 04, 05, 06, I'd be happy to provide that. Nobody was asking you to quit your job, nobody said, "Lancerlady, throw around a few hundred pancakes for 3 months" This organization has been grateful for ANY kind of help for any amount of time that I have been a part of it. Stop being so negative, you are ruining something that so many of us once called home.

Hello,

Yes, I did volunteer in 2004 when Jimmy Russo and Carl Ruccuo were breifly there and seemed to be putting things into the right direction, by getting Tom Peashey to come on board with the Bingo and other things. I did go out and get money donated for you when your food truck's fridge went out about $750 to be exact. I did other things and other ways to volunteer for your corps to help you and I didn't even have a kid who marched there. I'm just somebody who was in the area who had a soft spot for corps who had issues with money.

I volunteered at your Bingo Hall as well, my husband and I both did. We helped paint it and put it together for use on our days off. We used our own gas money to drive from Kissimmee to Clermont many bingo nights to go get pizza and sell it at your Bingo Hall. We worked with Lee Shields many a night at the Bingo Hall. Just because we cared about the activity. We even came out for a camp, helped cooked when no other volunteers were there to show up and all the volunteers bagged on you. We went out and bought you loaves of bread so you could eat Monte Cristo's that day cause nobody bothered to get your food truck stocked up. So before you come after me about thinking I didn't have anything to do with your corps, you might want to ask first.

We went out to various stores and asked for money for your corps but when we tried to get paperwork from your corps for accountability, they didn't want to do things like that for some reason. I had places like Walmart, Lowes, Darden Restaruants who were willing to donate to your corps to help out. But nobody stepped up to give us proper information needed.

So please tell me again how I never had anything to do with your corps? I actually sat in on a BOD meeting in 04 when Mr. Carl was taking over, I saw how things were going then. It looked to be on the right track. Then all of a sudden, somebody didn't like something somebody said...

It wasn't just Mr. Capella who got the Magic in trouble. It was a culmination of people.

I have not made "Nasty" posts, about magic, I have only made truthful posts of what I personally witnessed and went through trying to help this corps.

The point is, people, many people have tried to help this struggling corps but there always seems to be one problem. Can you figure it out?

Edited by Lancerlady

:laugh::ph34r::doh:

After being the housing corrdinator for Thunder in the Desert (Midland,Tx show) from 2003-2005 and being on staff with other corps in 2005 and 2006, I've got to agree. At the Midland show in 2004, Magic didn't even have thier food trailer and their kids were hungry......we ended up giving away the leftover consessions to the members. I later discovered that several corps were feeding Magic all tour long.

I say get your finances under control. These kids pay too much in dues to starve on tour.

My son hasn't eaten a baked potato since he came back from tour this August. Seems that

baked potatoes constituted a lot of lunches and dinners on tour. Not sure if that's from a lack

of funds or the fact that Pam was on her own much of the time (as far as volunteers were concerned).

However, I will say it was nice for Bruce to buy steak for the kids several times, as well as

take the whole corps to Chili's one night. Am sure that came out of his own pocket.

Edited by texasmom

Hello,

Yes, I did volunteer in 2004 when Jimmy Russo and Carl Ruccuo were breifly there and seemed to be putting things into the right direction, by getting Tom Peashey to come on board with the Bingo and other things. I did go out and get money donated for you when your food truck's fridge went out about $750 to be exact. I did other things and other ways to volunteer for your corps to help you and I didn't even have a kid who marched there. I'm just somebody who was in the area who had a soft spot for corps who had issues with money.

I volunteered at your Bingo Hall as well, my husband and I both did. We helped paint it and put it together for use on our days off. We used our own gas money to drive from Kissimmee to Clermont many bingo nights to go get pizza and sell it at your Bingo Hall. We worked with Lee Shields many a night at the Bingo Hall. Just because we cared about the activity. We even came out for a camp, helped cooked when no other volunteers were there to show up and all the volunteers bagged on you. We went out and bought you loaves of bread so you could eat Monte Cristo's that day cause nobody bothered to get your food truck stocked up. So before you come after me about thinking I didn't have anything to do with your corps, you might want to ask first.

We went out to various stores and asked for money for your corps but when we tried to get paperwork from your corps for accountability, they didn't want to do things like that for some reason. I had places like Walmart, Lowes, Darden Restaruants who were willing to donate to your corps to help out. But nobody stepped up to give us proper information needed.

So please tell me again how I never had anything to do with your corps? I actually sat in on a BOD meeting in 04 when Mr. Carl was taking over, I saw how things were going then. It looked to be on the right track. Then all of a sudden, somebody didn't like something somebody said...

It wasn't just Mr. Capella who got the Magic in trouble. It was a culmination of people.

I have not made "Nasty" posts, about magic, I have only made truthful posts of what I personally witnessed and went through trying to help this corps.

The point is, people, many people have tried to help this struggling corps but there always seems to be one problem. Can you figure it out?

It is no coincidence that Magic's frequent nickname amongst other corps is "Tragic"

Sad..but with a nasty ring of truth to it. :sshh:

perhaps there can be a concerted effort to channel some of the kids into remaining Div.II corps and beef them up to serious competitors along with giving them a place to march..

I've been campaigning for that here. Teal Sound is only a few hours out of Orlando.

Comments I've heard from the kids:

1. They don't want to go "backwards" by going from D1 to D2

2. The fees are the same as D1's but they perform less

The Teal Sound management appears to have their act together and I think they have a

good future ahead of them. But convincing teenagers is like trying to push a rope!!

Mine has decided to sit out this year. :(

I've been campaigning for that here. Teal Sound is only a few hours out of Orlando.

Comments I've heard from the kids:

1. They don't want to go "backwards" by going from D1 to D2

2. The fees are the same as D1's but they perform less

The Teal Sound management appears to have their act together and I think they have a

good future ahead of them. But convincing teenagers is like trying to push a rope!!

Mine has decided to sit out this year. :(

Well..their is a certain pretty good Div I corps 550 miles or 10 hours to the north... :laugh:

What I consider the saddest part about this:

Many of the members of '06 have decided not to march in '07. Wether through lack of funds or burn out (can you even burn out after a year?)

Quite a few had plans to return to the Magic, and in a huge lack of foresight decided not to pick up audition materials from other corps. The other Div I corps that recruit in Florida are Boston Crusaders and Kiwanis Kavaliers, and a lot of the kids don't have money (or think they don't have the talent) to get out of state. Most of the (young, impressionable) Magic kids from '06 consider going to Kiwanis or trying out a Div II a step down. Ironically enough, they tend to think even worse of Boston, due to some drum corps lore told by the hand full of vets.

Edited by Nyar

Well..their is a certain pretty good Div I corps 550 miles or 10 hours to the north... :laugh:

Man....dont' tempt me!

That's where he wanted to go after tour this year. They were great this year

and he liked a number of the other corps members whom he met.

He's only 16...so maybe next year when he graduates from high school. I'm

keeping my fingers crossed!

I think that there have been some pretty good ideas kicked around here however, I wonder how many of the people that are bashing the corps administration have actually been the director of a corps or for that matter been on the staff of a corps to fully realize what it takes to be in the position of actually running a corps. Just my two cents. Just for the record....I have been in that position so I am keeping my thoughts to my self and wishing the management and staff of Magic best wishes and speedy return.

My thoughts are my own and do not reflect the policies of the Spectrum winterguard.