Magic going inactive

Out of curiosity, how many corps were at the show before finals?

Scores are relative. The more corps the more spread out they will be.

Not many at the show right before finals, but at the Allentown regional we were still in the 16's.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does one even begin?

I have been involved with drum corps' from all 3 divisions. Every organization has its strengths and weaknesses. No one will argue with this. To say how to accomplish something is far easier than to actually put a plan into action. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when things are said without facts to back them up, that is where it needs to stop.

I was on tour everyday in 2004 and 2005 with The Magic. They did not starve, nor was there ever a time the food truck was not there. If the truck was not there food was being supplied in other ways. Why wouldn't the truck be there? Some stadiums won't allow you to feed the members on their property due to concession stand contracts ie San Antonio, TX. It amazed me that summer when I heard kids were telling their parents they weren't being fed. It was in fact they weren't being fed something they liked. There is a big difference here. At EVERY meal there was always peanut butter and jelly. Every corps' meal staple, along with the main course and always a dessert. If a meal as in the baked potatoe comment was being served quite frequently it could be the corps was waiting for their Sysco delivery. Sometimes being housed in a smaller town their grocery stores cannot supply 170 people. You cook what you have. It is funny how the baked potato was mentioned but what about all the other stuff they ate?

Putting blame on someone is never going to come out well. Listing names is not wise either. It amazes me that some of you share with us that you are parents. I hope you are teaching your children better manners than that.

I am all for freedom of speech, but you cannot deny the fact that members read these posts and feel hurt by them. When I read about other drum corps and the bashing that goes on I feel for that organization and the members.

You never know what really happens with anything unless you have personally experienced it. I realize there may be some hurt feelings and you feel this is your way of getting it out. Please rethink your choices.

Is this why our world is in such shambles? We are so quick to judge. Perhaps I cannot help by being there, in Florida, but I can try to do things from afar. First thing - stop bringing up the past and know your facts.

I wish The Magic the best of luck.

Did you place differently?

If you look at both days, they were 19th in Allentown so not much of a difference from being 20th in Quarterfinals.

Scores are indeed relative.

I have been on tour with The Magic since 2003. Never once since the new administration took over (in 2004) Did we not have a food truck, did we not get fed, were we starving. Having been through 2003 where there were weeks we didn't have a truck, to 2004 where there was a truck full time, kitchen staff, full time... nothing I experienced afterward can compare. Please get your facts straight before you make statements like this. I'll say it one more time, since Bruce Zeigler took over the corps in 2004 never ONCE have the kids starved or been hungry.

It's true, It's true.

Early corps get their numbers held down at the first show of championship week...that's life. It's judges making sure they don't run out of room at the top end of the scale to give accurate spreads between the top corps. It happens every year, and has nothing to do with politics or some conspiracy to keep Magic down.

With all due respect, when you spend the first half of the season with your closer crashing and burning like the Hindenburg every night and duking it out for the "not last place" spot, I really don't see how you have room to suggest some grand political conspiracy to keep your corps down.

Chaos indeed.

You know, all this bickering about who did what or didn't do anything is not helping the corps any. As well as hurting the kids as well. I've been if corps that went inactive and never returned, even though we members did everything we could to try and bring them back. If the members are dedicated, the need to step up and help bring the corps back. Go out and make money, do fund raisers, parades (do corps make money at parades any more?) anything if it will help. Ask Bill Gates for a donation (hey just a thought he like music too). Anyways, if it was mis management, shouldn't DCI step in as the head hancho and help out in some manner?

Come back soon Magic, we will miss you.

If a meal as in the baked potatoe comment was being served quite frequently it could be the corps was waiting for their Sysco delivery. Sometimes being housed in a smaller town their grocery stores cannot supply 170 people. You cook what you have. It is funny how the baked potato was mentioned but what about all the other stuff they ate?

Did I miss you while I was volunteering with Magic this year?

The baked potato comment was a fact and no different than if I had made a peanut butter comment. There was no blame laid - just a fact. Probably cause baked potatoes are really easy to cook when you are understaffed. Did I say that is all they ate for weeks? Gosh...your second post and you are already putting words in people's mouths! :sshh:

Also, did you READ that I also said it was nice of Bruce to give the kids steak a few times and even take everyone out to Chili's - out of his own pocket?

By the way, did you email Curt with fundraising ideas? Did you donate any money? Did you contact people outside this forum to try to help?

Did you age out in 2005? If not, why didn't you return to Magic?

I don't think there's a single person involved in this discussion who doesn't hope Magic gets their act together - COMMUNICATES with people - and comes back stronger than ever in 2008! The kids who marched Magic were AWESOME. I wish them all the best of luck in finding a home for this year.

Anyways, if it was mis management, shouldn't DCI step in as the head hancho and help out in some manner?

It is not in DCI's charter to do such things.

DCI coordinates the activity as a whole and has no jurisdiction over individual corps' management. About the only way I can think of that DCI can impact an individual corps directly is to disallow them to tour if the don't have the finances to do so.

It is not in DCI's charter to do such things.

DCI coordinates the activity as a whole and has no jurisdiction over individual corps' management. About the only way I can think of that DCI can impact an individual corps directly is to disallow them to tour if the don't have the finances to do so.

I believe that is correct. Corps' are semi-autonomous. Much like whatever state someone happens to live in.