Ready for some good news ...

I was kind of hoping that they would be performing music from Snakes on a Plane.

So kiss me goodbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

:sshh:

Spartans shows sound the same every year, even before he was writing them.

ooh, ooh I've seen this one before. I'll bite.

I agree. A good reason for that would be the fact that asside from Divine Comedy, they used the same repertoire in 2001 and 2002 (by that I think I mean 2 songs), but then again so didn't SCV 88 and 89 (more than 2 songs). Mr. Estancia, what about that corps you must enjoy from 93 to 94...hmmm anything repeated there? They also played music from the same composer 2 years in a row (holsinger)...did you ever hear Cadets 87 and 88 (copland)? Besides, no one has ever repeated full shows or drum breaks in the activity, right? But I do see how you think they all sound the same because Spartan shows before Key were arranged by some guy for like 10 years and were recognizable. I can't see why he would want people to remember his style, but wait how long did Jay BoCook arrange for Cadets...i bet you couldn't pick out a Cadets show in a line-up...wait, you can?! Still, they wear those helmets and play roman music...but then again, have you seen ECJ take a break from jazz music? Because there's no way someone could ever accuse them or anyone else of using similar arrangements or full shows that have been done before. Either way, in the history of Pioneer, how many times did they stray from the celtic theme? Oh, Phantom DEFINATELY needed to lose the classical repertoire thing, because that never worked-out for them. Bluecots and Spirit also should stop with the jazz thing, its getting old. Blue Stars really needed to stop playing the Jewish ballad. SCV could've done without innovation anyway. You know a certain midwest corps has a LOT of arpeggios from the front ensemble that sound the same every year...didn't they win like 5 times with music both original and popular?

Man I am sick of hearing the same music...corps should definately lose their signature sound. The Spartans also start every show with the pit and build up to an impact and then follow it with 1 or 2 songs until they get to the ballad followed by a drumbreak and finish with a faster song. Now do you really want me to list all the shows that use this format? I'm glad you've brought to our attention that the Spartans continue to up-hold the idea of tradition and identity along with every corps who has a recognizable look and sound. I know some show designers that are looking for someone who really knows what they're talking about...you know, someone who really does some history and notices patterns throughout DCI. I think you'd be great for the job, what with your vast knowledge of the activity and ability to critique the intricate differences from show to show. Go back and read Oldguard's 2nd post...his was nicer than mine.

ps - I chose to not get TOO in detail in my examples this time, but for anyone looking for a comparison/defense of a corps, please just send me an argument and I'd be happy to do some research for you! (I really enjoy digging around and finding stuff out).

dude, get over yourself. he was giving his opinion, and that's all. everyone has one, if you don't like it just let it go. and by the way, it was an opinion that is shared by many people. just throwing that out there.

ooh, ooh I've seen this one before. I'll bite.

(I really enjoy digging around and finding stuff out).

I found this to be an interesting, highly entertaining ... and insightful ... read.

I recall also a comparison of east coast/ west coast cymbal styles that you wrote a month or so back that really made me think.

Thanks for adding your thoughts ...

... just adding my thoughts :)

Well Mr. Covington, you've got me there. Was that really an opinion? I'm glad you bring that point up, because I've never seen anyone say that on this forum. Here I was thinking that DCP was a place to come and prove how much more I know than everyone else.

What you perceive as arrogance I only hope is more obvious in another light to those like Oldguard. Opinions are great. I absolutely love them. I just find that certain comments, I'm sorry, "opinions" are thrown out there sometimes without too much thought. So, while many feel that Spartans' shows sound the same every year, I feel that such an "opinion" is highly uneducated. My education is irrelevant because some won't listen since I haven't legitimized it with a list of ensembles (doubt many would know of any of them), institutions, and honors such as you have. This post is my opinion as well, James, just so you know.

ps - if you type "B" followed by ")" you get B) ...which looked silly in my other post.

Edited by whystarwhy

Ok I am embarrassed and will do it to myself: :OT: :OT: :OT:

Tarot:

Way too early to really tell. A show title without the concept is simply that. Some corps spend too much time creating a concept for great music...what ever happened to those shows? I say, the only thing for certain is that the drums will sound different because of the new drum guy writing. Other than that, it could be a "typical Spartans show" which some have no problem welcoming. In all honesty, the only thing the Spartans could do to surprise me would be the announcement of a Latin-Jazz production in Bb horns wearing shakos.

ps - Did you know they played a jazz # as recently as 1992 from Aladdin (ha!)...ya...I found this out while digging around for my angsty post, but couldn't find a way to work it in there.

Ta ta for now,

- H