form of organization

Star United didn't have any real affiliations, aside from just being Star alumni, did they?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if there's any possibility of growth in that area - definitely take Tom's advice.

I'm not up on the rules that much, but I was under the impresison that you had to be affiliated with a recognized senior or alumni or all age corps to do I & E?

Well, like I said, it may be an ADVANTAGE for us to NOT have the proper status to compete - so that we don't have to fight the battle AGAINST going on the field (doesn't this always seem to come up, once you start growing?); since this corps was meant to be an alternative to the field activity.

There is already an aspiring field corps in our area, and they are welcome to have that venue all to themselves; and to all of the players who are looking to be on the field - we're not.

Also, WE ARE a reorganized DCA alumni corps. I was the Executive Director of the Capitol Brass Ensemble for 9 years, in the late 80's- early 90's and our board if made up, chiefly, of alumni of that group.

Edited by brassomaniac

Star United didn't have any real affiliations, aside from just being Star alumni, did they?

Thanks Dave!

Our alumni players actually DID go over hill and dale for 9 years to compete in every DCA and RCA and DCNY contest we could pick up; including several seasons of 7:30 am DCA prelim appearances; back in the day.

Oh yeah: and we also won (and swept captions in) a DCA contest.: Sheffied, PA - `92, I think - or `93? ; and finished in DCA finals in `93 - scoring in the high 70's our last two seasons.

Seems like we ought to qualify - I don't know, though.

Edited by brassomaniac

Well, like I said, it may be an ADVANTAGE for us to NOT have the proper staus to compete - so that we don't have to fight the battle AGAINST going on the field; since this is designed be to an alternative to the field activity.

Are you seeing this sort of 'battle' now? If you are, then without knowing anything else I would GUESS that it hasn't been made clear to prospective members what the intent of this ensemble is. But I think NOT getting a 501 status simply so that you can have an excuse not to field is not a sound judgement. It shouldn't matter whether you are non profit. Just make sure people understand what you're about.

Are you seeing this sort of 'battle' now? If you are, then without knowing anything else I would GUESS that it hasn't been made clear to prospective members what the intent of this ensemble is. But I think NOT getting a 501 status simply so that you can have an excuse not to field is not a sound judgement. It shouldn't matter whether you are non profit. Just make sure people understand what you're about.

No, we 're seeing no battle now, because we're making it very clear to members and prospective members what we're about. And so far (remember we're VERY small, at this point), we've attracted like-minded members - which is just exactly what we intend to continue doing. There are plenty of pretty close field corps for players from our area who are looking for that kind of experience (see my previous post) and we don't pretend to EVER be able to give those people what they are looking for.

I was only responding to the suggestion that we might want 501©3 status to keep the field corps option open; when our founding board specifically does not desire to have that option. So, from this limited perspective at least - that status wouldn't matter to us.

I'm really trying to explore just what difference it would make, otherwise.

Edited by brassomaniac

No, we 're seeing no battle now, because we're making it very clear to members and prospective members what we're about. And so far (remember we're VERY small, at this point), we've attracted like-minded members - which is just exactly what we intend to continue doing. There are plenty of pretty close field corps for players from our area who are looking for that kind of experience (see my previous post) and we don't pretend to EVER be able to give those people what they are looking for.

I was only responding to the suggestion that we might want 501©3 status to keep the field corps option open; when our founding board specifically does not desire to have that option. So, from this limited perspective at least - that status wouldn't matter to us.

Ok, well it sounds like you have a handle on things. I would guess that having a 501 status might help you in other ways...maybe you want to solicit charitable donations as you grow for instance?

It's me again Tom...

Let me be clearer... let's take any thoughts of DCA DCI or any other initials out of the picture...

If staff works for free... If members buy all equipment themselves... if you travel at your own expense... if ... if ... if

The bottom line is $25,000. If you take in 25K in any way... dues, fund raising, performance fees, show sponsorship, hot dog sales, Christmas gift wrap shop... etc. etc. etc. You MUST either - file corporate taxes - or each individual be given some sort of form that they can use to show their share of the income on their personal taxes (like an LLP) OR file 501C - I assume as an "music education" organization... this filing is almost costless... a good accountant should do it for a few hundred...

Trust this... for a lot of reasons... (the law and insurance liability reasons mainly) you want to get your 501 status clarified.

I'll give you a for instance... you do as you have so far.... and a car load of guys get killed... the driver fell asleep because you had been at an event way too late... with no corporation or 501 status... who do they sue????? How about Tom MacDonald? How about any other members who might or might not have had something to do with the decision to stay late???

Even if you try and do the simplist form yourself... at NO COST... you should just DO IT... it's no big deal...

The days of being able to just ignore this stuff are long gone... hang in there old friend... hope all goes well for you.

It's me again Tom...

Let me be clearer... let's take any thoughts of DCA DCI or any other initials out of the picture...

If staff works for free... If members buy all equipment themselves... if you travel at your own expense... if ... if ... if

The bottom line is $25,000. If you take in 25K in any way... dues, fund raising, performance fees, show sponsorship, hot dog sales, Christmas gift wrap shop... etc. etc. etc. You MUST either - file corporate taxes - or each individual be given some sort of form that they can use to show their share of the income on their personal taxes (like an LLP) OR file 501C - I assume as an "music education" organization... this filing is almost costless... a good accountant should do it for a few hundred...

Trust this... for a lot of reasons... (the law and insurance liability reasons mainly) you want to get your 501 status clarified.

I'll give you a for instance... you do as you have so far.... and a car load of guys get killed... the driver fell asleep because you had been at an event way too late... with no corporation or 501 status... who do they sue????? How about Tom MacDonald? How about any other members who might or might not have had something to do with the decision to stay late???

Even if you try and do the simplist form yourself... at NO COST... you should just DO IT... it's no big deal...

The days of being able to just ignore this stuff are long gone... hang in there old friend... hope all goes well for you.

I appreciate all that, Tom. And it's good advice.. But what does it have to do wuth charitable stutus?

Couldn't you get the same limitation of liability with a for-profit or simply a not-for-profit incoporated association?

(I have someone assigned to get legal advice on this part of the equation - cause I don't know.)

BTW: GREAT to hear from you after all these years, Tom!

and Thanks for the help.

Edited by brassomaniac