Whats the single most important thing for a good Drum Major?

TchMuzk

Best Qualites in a DM  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's MOST important?

• Ability to lead the corps through the show
    • Showmanship
    • Portray musical expression
    • A leader OFF the field
    • Liason between staff and members
    • Communication (talking) with audience
    • Energy and Excitement
    • Bumo
    • Other (please elaborate)

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by some of the responses I've gotten.

While I know (and I said it in my original post) that its a blend of all of these, when looking at the ONE that's focused on most, it seems that the SHOWMAN is the one DCA regards as being most important when selecting the best DM award at championships.

Over the years, I've seen some pretty weak conductors win because they were showmen. I've also seen some very good conductors NOT win because someone else had "won over" the crowd.

It is very rare that the best conductor wins that award. Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for ANYONE who gets up on that podium. I'm not saying that anyone is a bad conductor. It just doesn't seem to be an important indicator in who wins the award at finals.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by some of the responses I've gotten.

While I know (and I said it in my original post) that its a blend of all of these, when looking at the ONE that's focused on most, it seems that the SHOWMAN is the one DCA regards as being most important when selecting the best DM award at championships.

Over the years, I've seen some pretty weak conductors win because they were showmen. I've also seen some very good conductors NOT win because someone else had "won over" the crowd.

It is very rare that the best conductor wins that award. Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for ANYONE who gets up on that podium. I'm not saying that anyone is a bad conductor. It just doesn't seem to be an important indicator in who wins the award at finals.

But who is voting for that award?

Not the staff and the members.

The ones voting for the award at the show are only voting for what they can observe at that moment. They don't see what that DM has been doing all the rest of year. I have met several DM's that have deserved an award at DCA, but lost to other DM's because of the showmanship part.

Julie,

That's my point exactly. I think its silly to give an award for best drum major, because (in MY mind) what makes a good drum major is what's done at practice (and in between practices) and not during performance.

I don't see how someone can watch a drum major perform and know if he/she is a good major.

Just my $0.02

Shouldn't this be in the Discussion part of the forum instead of the announcements?