Spartans Win Div. II in '07

Thought of the Day:

I wonder how many of you are reading this who are in corps whose staffs have told you not to post on this public forum ... or even not to read it ... to stay away from here ... that it is not a good place ... to not get involved in the drama ... to spend your time practicing and focusing instead ... to represent yourselves and your corps better than this ...

You are all intelligent young men and women with a need to communicate and to express your thoughts, ideas and feelings. Some of you, I know, write carefully worded posts.

Some of you write me private messages. To one of these I'd like to say, "You are very welcome."

"Words don't hurt anyone. Thoughts don't hurt anyone"

I think your instructional staff and corps directors are telling you otherwise.

I am reminded of one of my own instructors from so many years ago who taught me:

"Corpsmanship begins and ends with what you think about yourself and others."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me. Our staff always gave us the benefit of the doubt when it came to posting on online forums. I know a couple of important staffers would check DCP every once in awhile and if they felt like anyone had crossed the line they'd call them out, but for the most part they were pretty permissive.

Regardless, it doesn't matter because ECJ "went inactive." I no longer am a member of the corps and there's no longer any staff to keep me in check.... not that I think they'd find my posts questionable.

I don't know, I just think it's the result of a lot of frustration building up over the years. I'm not trying to disagree with anyone's opinion, but I think Tony's right. Every year that I've marched at ECJ I've come off the field feeling awesome about our show only to come on DCP and read "ECJ didn't deserve their placement" or "ECJ's visual program sucked" or "ECJ's brassline was overrated." I just feel like I could count on two hands the number of compliments I've read on DCP about shows that I marched (exaggeration I know... but not that much).

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, you're not supposed to let people's opinions on DCP get to you and just keep performing your show, but I just wish at least one of the shows I marched got the praise that I thought it deserved.

Edited by TSRTS13

Not me. Our staff always gave us the benefit of the doubt when it came to posting on online forums. I know a couple of important staffers would check DCP every once in awhile and if they felt like anyone had crossed the line they'd call them out, but for the most part they were pretty permissive.

Regardless, it doesn't matter because ECJ "went inactive." I no longer am a member of the corps and there's no longer any staff to keep me in check.... not that I think they'd find my posts questionable.

I don't know, I just think it's the result of a lot of frustration building up over the years. I'm not trying to disagree with anyone's opinion, but I think Tony's right. Every year that I've marched at ECJ I've come off the field feeling awesome about our show only to come on DCP and read "ECJ didn't deserve their placement" or "ECJ's visual program sucked" or "ECJ's brassline was overrated." I just feel like I could count on two hands the number of compliments I've read on DCP about shows that I might (exaggeration I know... but not that much).

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, you're not supposed to let people's opinions on DCP get to you and just keep performing your show, but I just wish at least one of the shows I marched got the praise that I thought it deserved.

See, but what you need to understand is that the opinions expressed on here are not on how hard members work on the field. ECJ works just as hard as any other corps out there. Opinions are more aimed at the staff who are writing your shows, teaching your styles, and doing everything else that in sense shapes the show the corps is given to perform. And with that, people are going to have different views/opinions/thoughts/orgies on your show.

But also understand, you're in a performing art, you chose to be in a performing art, so you're going to be criticized for your performance. It's one of those situations where if you can't take the heat, stay out of the oven.

can't help you there bro. If you want a visual show (reminder here, I haven't seen the show, so this comment is in no relation to it) that gets positive reviews from the fans, then you would have to take that up with your program coordinators.

There's too much hypersensitivity these days to criticism. As Eddie said, in the performing world what gets thrown around here is standard issue, and could even be considered tame compared to some of what one hears in the pro world. Just because you work hard (and everyone does) doesn't insulate you from people telling you that they don't like what you're doing, even if they're doing it in a way that isn't terribly kind. To be successful you have to learn to roll with the punches and just put out the best product you can in spite of it all. If you let it get to you, eventually people will stop being critical of the product and start being critical because they'll perceive you as "that corps full of kids that attacks everyone," a far more difficult position to receive positive comments in.

um....need a tissue?

back to the question of spartans winning div 2...

game6snki4.jpg

its a joke guys lighten up.

bottom line, Spartans will win, it'll be an essential repeat of 2004...reasoning:

2003, Spartans come in third place behind Patriots and Esparanza

2004: Patriots fold, and Esparanza goes DI, Spartans win by a quarter tenth

2006: Spartans come in third place behind East Coast Jazz and Arizona Academy

2007: East Coast Jazz fold, and Arizona Academy goes DI, Spartans will win by a quarter tenth

my guess for 2nd place......Jersey Surf... but OC and SCVC will have a coastal advantage.