II/III DVDs

Teal Sound – Nice opening and visual ideas throughout. Colorguard did not grab my attention. The music got real interesting once the small group started playing. I know I liked this show a lot although I’m having a hard time remembering most of it. This one needs a 2nd viewing.

Impulse – One of the more interesting musical selections of II/III. Not sure how it all fit together since I didn’t understand the concept/show title. I really liked the solo with the shake in the closing production. They were movin at a high velocity, good for them! Probably my most favorite front ensemble Impulse has put out, ever. Every Impulse snareline looks like the drums are too large for the person wearing them…I think it has something to do with the harness underneath their unique uniform style, but the battery moved well anyway.

Revolution – This was my favorite show in II/III! The repertoire was completely new to me, so now I am dying to hear the originals. Where to begin…the opening immediately grabbed my attention and I loved the dissonant chords/eerie rhythm. Visual ideas were great along with body movement (snares snares snares I wish you put some of it in during that feature…the slow motion into the line didn’t match the licks). Absolutely fantastic guard staging, congrats to the designer (yes I will look them up after this)! The 2nd song sounded familiar (Fever 04?) so I’ll have to dig around on that one…either way very challenging meter/rhythms. The closing production actually brought me to smile at the body movement with cool beats coming from the front as well. I’m hooked, thanks Revo.

Raiders – Not having a DM definitely limited the staging options for the corps, but I thought the designer did a great job! The repertoire was quite ambitious and they pulled it off. The Don Ellis arrangement was top notch…its always nice to hear an old standard done a different way. Small ensemble...YES. With all the challenges and demand the corps faced, I’ll just say I am impressed to say the least.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic