contra folk only

ContraEH

I'm not a brass player, but can you guys tell the big difference between 4/4 and 5/4 contra ? Are the 5/4 much heavier then the 4/4 ? I heard that the Cavaliers use a 4/4 contra. Is it because Yamaha doesn't make a 5/4 model, or there is some other reason ? Whats your favorite brand guys ?

5/4 contra is quite a bit larger. It also usually has larger dimensions as well like the bore size, bell size, and the overall size of the tubing.

It looks to me like Yamaha now makes a 5/4 horn, at elast from what I have seen in the pics. They have always made upright tubas in 5/4 size but never marching brass. My old high school was using the 3/4 size marching tubas and those were tiny.

My preference is still Kanstul though. I feel that of the choices out there the Kanstul is the easiest to center pitch on and the easiest horn to play at extreme volume levels, both soft and loud. The horn can swallow you up if you don't put enough air through it though, and I would not really reccomend it to a player who is just beginning.

Shawn C ^0^

I'm not a brass player, but can you guys tell the big difference between 4/4 and 5/4 contra ? Are the 5/4 much heavier then the 4/4 ? I heard that the Cavaliers use a 4/4 contra. Is it because Yamaha doesn't make a 5/4 model, or there is some other reason ?  Whats your favorite brand guys ?

<snip>

My preference is still Kanstul though. I feel that of the choices out there the Kanstul is the easiest to center pitch on and the easiest horn to play at extreme volume levels, both soft and loud. The horn can swallow you up if you don't put enough air through it though, and I would not really reccomend it to a player who is just beginning.

Shawn C ^0^

The Kanstul Grande (their 5/4 sized horn) is BY FAR, the best marching bass horn I've played on. It "speaks" extremely well in every pitch & volume range. It also resonates like no other....simply put - it is just the best bass horn for the outdoor idiom.

If you are a player who is just beginning, I would recommend getting your hands on the Kanstul 4/4 sized horn. IMHO, the DEG & Yamaha 4/4 horns are not even in the same league as Kanstul 4/4. It is very easy to control and as Shawn wisely pointed out - it doesn't take the volumes of thick air that the Kanstul Grande demands, making it a great horn for a beginner.

I started playing tuba in sixth grade. One day I saw a few of the older guys watching a video. Turned out to be the championships of that year. Of was too afraid to ask any questions as to what it was. Eventualy, through a ton of different sources I learned about corp, and then about the contrabass. I guess theres just something about it, the feeling of havingso much power on YOUR shoulder. I'm 16 now, and will be marching my first season in 2003 with magic of orlando.

I played mellophone/french horn/ alto horns my entire corps career, but in early 2002 we had a shortage of contras in the Renegades.........I had always had this crazy fantasy of playing contra, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't think I'lll ever play anything else, it's too much of a hype!