Ex-Sunrisers/North Band Director Praised after surprising death....

As a young man, Tom was my student at the Seaford Golden Hawks and I knew from the start that he was one of the finest brass players I would ever teach. We had a chance encounter at the Madison Airport after a lapse of about 25 years. I told him I was so very proud of him, as a player cretainly, but even moreso as as the fine educator he had become.

When the student surpasses the teacher, it's a great honor to the latter. Tom McCarthy so honored me. I offer my deepest condolences to his family, his students, and all who were ever touched by this wonderfully gifted man.

Frank Dorritie

Edited by ironlips

It was truly an honor to have known and called Tom a friend, a joy to have marched with such a great talent as well as he was one of the finest gentlemen on our activity. He was as every has confessed " a really great guy".

From Donna and myself, condolences to the McCarthy family and all the knew this gentle giant, Tom McCarthy. :blink:

God's speed my friend...

Tony White

Sunrisers 1975-1985

From the Terre Haute The Tribune-Star

http://www.tribstar.com/obituaries/local_story_005225018.htm

The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE— Thomas P. McCarthy, 51, of Terre Haute died at Indiana University Medical Center on

Jan. 4, 2007, after a brief illness. He was born in New York on March 24, 1955 to Conrad W. McCarthy

and Florence Baldwin McCarthy. He was a teacher and the band director at Terre Haute North High School.

Surviving are his parents; his wife, Kim Stepp McCarthy, whom he married on Aug. 9, 1997; two daughters and

sons-in-law, Amanda and Steven Moon of Plainfield, and Jessica and Matt Griese of Indianapolis; two brothers,

Michael McCarthy and his wife Jill, and James McCarthy; one sister, Linda McCarthy and her husband

Joseph Godboris; one granddaughter, Emma Moon; and his mother-in-law, Billie Sue Stepp.

He was a member of St. Joseph University Parish. He also was a member of the National Education Association,

Music Educators National Conference, American Band Masters, Indiana Music Educators Association,

Drum Corps International, Adjudicator at the District, State and Regional Competition, Pi Lambda Phi fraternity,

Indiana Band Masters Association, and the International Association of Jazz Educators. He was chairman of

the Terre Haute North High School Music Department.

Funeral services are 6 p.m. Monday in DeBaun Springhill Chapel, with the Rev. David Rabenecker officiating.

Calling hours are at Terre Haute North Vigo High School in the auditorium on Sunday after 2 p.m.

There will be a memorial at 4 p.m. Additional calling hours will be in the funeral home on Monday from 2 p.m.

until services. There will be no graveside services. Memorial contributions can be made to the Thomas McCarthy

Memorial Fund, c/o Terre Haute North Vigo High School, 3434 Maple Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47804.

Copyright © 1999-2006 cnhi, inc.