Mouthpiece Check

The Original El Guapo

of you soak it or take it in the shower make sure you take out your valves so the pads dont puff up like... well i cant think of a good metaphor but it'll puff up... i usually just uses wrights polish on mine after every camp and then before tour i use snake and mabye once or twice throughout tour take it in the shower and then snake it. yeah definately some wierd stuff comes out of horns... ha... you never see mold or dead skin come out of a drum :P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have to tell you all about this!...

About 12 years ago I was playing a lot, and the chops were in good shape. I started to notice that my low range was getting crappy -- anything below a low B was raspy. I tried so many different things to try to fix the problem, including cleaning my horn. I tried different ways of blowing. I tried playing two or three hours more a day. And my low register was getting even crappier! This problem went on for two months.

One day I tried one of my old mouthpieces (the same model), and I could play! I didn't know what the difference between the two mouthpieces was until I held them up to the light and looked through the shaft. My god, it was awful!

So I cleaned the mouthpiece, and my two-month-old problem dissapeared just like that!

I guess I had normally been cleaning my mouthpieces often enough, but just got into a period that was long enough to really gum things up.

Now I clean out my mouthpiece about every two weeks.

HEED THIS ADVICE!

• 2 months later...

Personally When I first cleaned everything out it was sceefy. I cleaned out my mouthpieces and there was all this "stuff" in it. I had to disenfect Everything.

and dont forget to scrub the dead skin off the rim of the mouthpiece as well.

El Guapo

Something new I just learned while cleaning my contra before Dekalb Prelims... If you boil your mouthpiece..you still have to CLEAN it out... because sure, the gunk and bacteria is clean...but it's still there.... I never knew that boiling the mouthpiece didn't take all that crap out... well..its' clean anyways...

I have learned from experience that cleaning your horn and mouthpiece the day of a show is really really bad. The reason for this is all that gunk and stuff has your horn tuned a certain way. If you clean it out the day of the show without retuning your horn it is even worse. So always clean your horn at least one week before a show. And dont forget to tune it.

El Guapo

I recomend paying the bucks and getting your horn Chem Cleaned at a repair shop at least once a year also get your valves laped. The one I go to is wonderfull.... Drum Corps Fans..... Pictures on the wall and music blasting!!!!

In between I clean it out with a snake, valve casing brush, and a mouthpiece brush. Oil the valves daily and clean them with a lint free cloth (got in that habbit from my college profesor). Also blow some valve oil down the lead pipe and oil your amando water keys.

Shannon Jeffreys

Blue Stars 97,99

I recomend paying the bucks and getting your horn Chem Cleaned at a repair shop at least once a year also get your valves laped. The one I go to is wonderfull.... Drum Corps Fans..... Pictures on the wall and music blasting!!!!

In between I clean it out with a snake, valve casing brush, and a mouthpiece brush. Oil the valves daily and clean them with a lint free cloth (got in that habbit from my college profesor). Also blow some valve oil down the lead pipe and oil your amando water keys.

Shannon Jeffreys

Blue Stars 97,99

Spoken like someone who know his stuff.... B)

El Guapo